Author Topic: Getting My Head Around This  (Read 2268 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Getting My Head Around This
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
The hat view pan speed control is your thumb.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 03:32:41 AM »
It is called transition.  Maybe HiTech knows what I am asking for;  simply wishing to give a more natural head movement to the hat view looks.  The advantage being a fuller coverage of in between views1 during the pan transition, especially useful for default FOV.

Even a dot command which then would not need to take up space on the view options menu. 

It's not that big of a deal unless HiTech has reasons, which I totally respect.  Other than that, the more I try and explain it the farther from what I am asking others seem to go.  Why would I want to slow down a button press?   Has anyone gone offline and tried to see? 

The F8 or mouse look views are NOT precise.  Meaning I cannot predict where they will look and cannot look around the seat without making two separate motions (turn around and then move to the side). 

Correct me if am wrong.  If you do not select snap views, the view look will transition from the forward position to whatever view the corresponds to the hat position you have chosen.  1If that transition were customized to take longer to reach that position, the brain/ eye  :uhoh will identify targets along this travel route.  Currently it zips by so fast, it is indistinguishable.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:44:15 AM by Chilli »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 03:51:37 AM »
Chilli, you need to let me hook you up with TracIR. If you don't like it you can always send it to someone else to try. Pretty sure though, that in a week or so you will wonder how you ever flew without it. Seriously though, I am more than happy to hook you up, no strings attached. I look at it as a contribution to the betterment of MY experience in Aces High :rock All I need is a mailing address! I am selective, but you know my situation and I appreciated your thoughtful messages. Please think about it!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 04:05:29 AM »
A simple test:

• Set your field of view to default
  • Go offline to A1 tower on Greebo's CraterMA
  • Make sure that you are NOT using snap view (View Options)
  • Look back using the hat switch designated
  • Did you notice the 2 barracks to the side of the tower?
  • Now look to the right side, to see what I mean
  • Then try and explain to me why a slightly slower transition (if desired) is not more natural
  • If you missed the point of the exercise, please read prior post

1stpar, Thank you so much for your generous offer.  Sending you a PM.  You are a gentleman.  :salute
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:50:25 AM by Chilli »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
It is called transition.  Maybe HiTech knows what I am asking for;  simply wishing to give a more natural head movement to the hat view looks.  The advantage being a fuller coverage of in between views1 during the pan transition, especially useful for default FOV.

Even a dot command which then would not need to take up space on the view options menu. 

It's not that big of a deal unless HiTech has reasons, which I totally respect.  Other than that, the more I try and explain it the farther from what I am asking others seem to go.  Why would I want to slow down a button press?   Has anyone gone offline and tried to see? 

The F8 or mouse look views are NOT precise.  Meaning I cannot predict where they will look and cannot look around the seat without making two separate motions (turn around and then move to the side). 

Correct me if am wrong.  If you do not select snap views, the view look will transition from the forward position to whatever view the corresponds to the hat position you have chosen.  1If that transition were customized to take longer to reach that position, the brain/ eye  :uhoh will identify targets along this travel route.  Currently it zips by so fast, it is indistinguishable.

Here's how it works. If you want to see the side view before the rear view you simply look at the side view before you look at the rear view. You don't need to slow down the pan speed to use the rear view to see the side view. This also has the advantage of letting you pick which side view, left or right, you want to see.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
Yes Fugitive gets it  :banana:  With the exception, "So what your looking for then is an every man's version of trackIR but with a thumb on a hat switch instead of a head movement.

FLS,

Why don't we let HiTech decide what he wants to do or not do.  You obviously don't see what I am talking about and although I appreciate your input  :salute  It has nothing whatsoever to do with what I have presented.  Sometimes we need to step back and let someone else (HiTech) take a fresh look.

The entire intent is to aid the use of default FOV without the loss of situation awareness (the reason why 95% of the players will immediately change from the default settings).  I have insisted that a slower transition will cover the areas that are missed when using FOV is near default of 80%.  The simple test in prior post proves that although the head swings in the direction of the objects, it does so quickly (thus my discussion on speed of transition) that even an object larger than a plane a few feet away are not visible...... exclamation point...... period.

To more specifically answer FLS, the side view or any other view that can be mapped of course can be seen, it is the corner angle views that will gain visually.  If HiTech decides this is too costly or simply doesn't like the idea, I have no problem with that.  As he says wishlists are usually ideas that the originator thinks is great but in practice are poor concepts.

I simply thought it would promote the use of default FOV, and be more ready to play out of the box for the majority of the customers.  No skin lost for me, I know how to change FOV to 106.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:51:29 AM by Chilli »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 07:40:03 AM »
So what your looking for then is a poor man's version of trackIR but with a thumb on a hat switch instead of a head movement.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
You obviously don't see what I am talking about ...

When you divide 360 degrees into 8 level views the result is 45 degrees. With a FOV of 80 there is sufficient overlap. There are no missing in-between views. 

I understand you want to increase the time it takes to check 6. This would not help your SA. And how are you picking which side you scan as you pan to the rear?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »
When you divide 360 degrees into 8 level views the result is 45 degrees. With a FOV of 80 there is sufficient overlap. There are no missing in-between views. 

I understand you want to increase the time it takes to check 6. This would not help your SA. And how are you picking which side you scan as you pan to the rear?

Then why do players (myself included) use drastically increased FOVs?  Perhaps half a second probably less to turn to 180 degrees, certainly would not hurt SA as much as missing the attacker at my high or low 4 o'clock. 

My hat settings now just using one of the two, I can look:

• back and around my headrest
  • forward head to the side
  • angled up and front
  • up overhead
  • left over wing
  • left and back
  • angled up and back
  • right over wing

So, if I look left and back it pans left, back and around headrest pans right.  Looking angled up and back pans overhead towards the top of headrest / cockpit frame.  (Not 100% sure on up view about to log in to check || edit:  angled up and back twists to the right and then up).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:33:55 AM by Chilli »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
I understand your idea. You want to slow down the pan speed so you can look at the side views while the view slowly moves to the selected rear view. This lets you skip selecting the side and quarter views but you still get to see them in passing. You don't see a downside to the slower 6 view. Did I miss anything?

I still think your best option is to look at each view and control the hat "pan" speed by selecting each view in turn with your thumb. This also makes it easier to stop and look at anything interesting that pops into view.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »

Doubt you will ever even get close to IR tracking with the hat.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
This is sounding more like he wants a transition zone between contiguous view directions.

Something like if he looks left wing then looks right wing the transition is normal(instant). But, if he is looking right wing then changes the hat to right back, there is a slower panning transition through to the right back view. And he wants a speed control that goes from instant to "next month".

TR in 2-axis mode (pitch,yaw) works kind of like this because it inherits the HPS file head settings.

Maybe from his PC during the snap change of views, he gets a blurring of his ability to see things like Icons during the transition. And this is what he believes will be the solution to that blurring transition zone.

TrackIR will fix this for him if that offer from another player is in force.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »
Yes Bustr that is more of what I was saying, with the exception, that I feel that it would be advantageous to anyone using default views for the first time.  HiTech and FLS have educated me well on the facts on view angles.  The problem still exists for anyone who has tried a close combat dogfight with default FOV, you can't see JACK.  The slower panning motion would be extremely helpful in acquiring targets while using narrow views (80 percent).

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »
And now you open a new can of worms to confuse and frustrate a neophyte.

The new player just barely understanding our view system and getting used to it and our demanding air combat. Is probably just as prepared to understand being told he can make scaling adjustments to the speed of the view transitions as he is prepared to understand scaling his x,y axis for his joystick. All there as advanced concepts to enhance his ability to compete in our air combat if or when he can understand what some well meaning vet is blathering about. Most people just want to play this game and the basic views and controls give them that ability.

By the time most newbies get around to understanding stick scaling, they are then vets who have mastered and passed beyond the limitations of the basic system. Rather than one of many having been chased out of the game by it's complexity and very unkind realities of air combat. And one of the first things a newbie will find out is to change their FoV to something easier to use the default view system with. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 07:48:38 PM »
I use a 90 field of view, forward cockpit views are ok at that setting. I have overall default set at 112, and use the zoom button I have mapped to get the 90 ish fov setting for level flight and shooting. It is somewhat difficult to track hard maneuvering contacts in the 90 ish fov, so a flip of the switch and I have wider views to keep track of the bugger. So maybe being able to set each head position to its own field of view setting? tighter for front and then some what wider to sides and really expanded for the SIX. That would do I would think,the field of view settings have big influence on panning speed, as tight view just seems so much faster than in a wider view. I believe that is the problem you are trying to figure out? A one size fits all views can make things a bit tricky, for me they did. Of coarse a variable speed pan option could work also! I could never get it just right, snap would miss everything in between head positions and pan was almost as bad.. That's why I jumped at TRACK IR. Each axis is speed programmable for actual head movement to in game head position. I fiddle with those curves quite often depending on my level of difficulty, some days just turning my head makes my legs go numb :headscratch: Dang nerves! So far I have yet to run into any problem that a tweak of the curves cant fix!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:00:18 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain