Author Topic: Getting My Head Around This  (Read 2222 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Getting My Head Around This
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 08:06:49 PM »
And now you open a new can of worms to confuse and frustrate a neophyte.

The new player just barely understanding our view system and getting used to it and our demanding air combat. Is probably just as prepared to understand being told he can make scaling adjustments to the speed of the view transitions as he is prepared to understand scaling his x,y axis for his joystick. All there as advanced concepts to enhance his ability to compete in our air combat if or when he can understand what some well meaning vet is blathering about. Most people just want to play this game and the basic views and controls give them that ability.

By the time most newbies get around to understanding stick scaling, they are then vets who have mastered and passed beyond the limitations of the basic system. Rather than one of many having been chased out of the game by it's complexity and very unkind realities of air combat. And one of the first things a newbie will find out is to change their FoV to something easier to use the default view system with.

Easy Bustr, Chilli is just making some suggestions. It maybe a little late but its never too late. Newbies would pick up on any additional features HT adds. :joystick:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »
Bustr,

You are correct, I do wish that the "out of the box" feeling for everyone would improve with this new feature.  That means that I would suggest a slower pan to be the "default" head movement.  If that feature is not well received by the players, a simple check box in the view options turns it off.  That in itself is a lot simpler that logging out and changing the FOV to ????

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
At some point you need to trust Hitech knows what he is doing and that is why the clipboard is not wall to wall check boxes to turn things off.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 05:09:24 PM »
Actually Bustr,
I do trust HiTech.  As far as a check box, that isn't necessary.  Making slower pan speed the default and adding a dot command  for customizing the speed, could do the trick.  The check box is already there for pan mode.  So, again if HiTech doesn't see it as advantageous or something easy enough to implement, so be it.

So in the end is it simpler to be frustrated by poor FOV related loss of SA in close combat, possibly endure endless rants about how AH2 was better (even worse iL2 was better), or attempt to improve the "default" settings for a more natural head movement with realistic scale?

I have a feeling that HiTech will not like this idea, but would have much more practical reasons, which he need not discuss with me.  That decision is his and would be quite fine with me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:21:47 PM by Chilli »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
After reading this thread FWIW I completely understand what Chilli is saying and asking for and also FWIW I also completely agree w\ Chilli as I have also asked for this very same item to be considered on this BBS some years back and also on the BBS in the other game that Hitech created for some years back as well.

I believe it would be a good thing for AH to have the option for users who want and will continue to use a traditional viewing system w\ this game to have the ability to set up and control the panning speed of the viewing transitions as this is the sole reason for having a pan view in the 1st place....so why not also consider to give the user the ability to control the speed of the panning view transition w\ the traditional viewing system to their tastes? I hope we do realize that the resolution of the view potentiometers are getting better, the quality of this equipment is getting better and so this request isn't so far out of bounds I would believe to ask for.

This makes absolute sense to me.....but I'm not the creator of this game.

Heck for years I've wanted a little more engine management control in this game to use and for years didn't know that Hitech had already included some of this until just a few months back....in fact, had included it for YEARS back.

The point is, it never hurts to advocate for a request to add an item one feels is important to the overall immersion aspect to this game on this BBS as you may never know.......Hitech just may be listening and you never know.....it may just show up.

So there's 2 players that agree on this aspect being a viable choice to add.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd