Author Topic: And the next scenario should be....  (Read 8891 times)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Re: And the next scenario should be....
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
Operation Unthinkable
VVS vs RAF

Spit 14/16, Mossies and B26's

Yak3/9 la7s and Tu2s

This is where the PE2 would come in handy, maybe sub 110c?

Chuikov

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 09:00:06 PM »
Best sub for pe2 is the tu2. Tu2 is a little slower than pe2.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
Best sub for pe2 is the tu2. Tu2 is a little slower than pe2.
The Pe-2 has terrible defences, the early Pe2 didn't have a rear gunner, was more accurate as a dive bomber. But has anyone got a chart for climb rates and speed for both to compared, Tu2 and Pe2?

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »
The TU2 has a slightly better power to mass rate. PE2 .15 hp per pound, TU2 .17 hp per pound. A clean TU2 with 25% fuel can climb at roughly 3400 fpm at sea level. Seeing that the VVS had lend lease B25's maybe that could be a more suitable substitute.

Chuikov

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »
Or a formation of TU2's could be used as Bombers, and a single TU2 with a limited payload could be used as attack/jabo. The plane set would be fairly evenly matched.
Spit16 vs La7
Spit8 vs yak3
B26 formation vs Tu2 Formation
Mossies vs Single Tu2

The Soviets would hold a slight edge on Fighters, where as the RAF would have a slight advantage in attack/bombers.

The late war uber rides may also attract more people. As for the ground war, seing that very few people decided to engage upon that aspect during the previous scenario I can't imagine that being overly popular in any future scenarios.

I though about the VVS vs IJAF matchup in 1945 Manchuria, the plane set seems unbalanced in favor of the VVS. I believe the 108 sentai was 50% Ki-44s and 50% ki-84s. We don't have Ki44s and 84s would get eatin alive by the LA7s

Chuikov

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 10:54:44 PM »
If we're going late war, the russians tried to reverse engineer 'saved' B29s that made emergency landings...  Lets throw those in.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »
The TU2 has a slightly better power to mass rate. PE2 .15 hp per pound, TU2 .17 hp per pound. A clean TU2 with 25% fuel can climb at roughly 3400 fpm at sea level. Seeing that the VVS had lend lease B25's maybe that could be a more suitable substitute.

They didn't use many B-25's.  They used many more Tu-2's.  They used *a lot* more Pe-2's.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
The Pe-2 has terrible defences, the early Pe2 didn't have a rear gunner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petlyakov_Pe-2
"From the middle of 1942 defensive armament included 1 Berezin UB machine gun in the upper bombardier's turret, 1 Berezin UB in gunner's ventral hatch and 1 ShKAS which could be fired by a gunner from port, starboard or upper mountings."

So not enormously different from the Tu-2.

was more accurate as a dive bomber.

It was used as an attack plane (like the Il-2) and as a level bomber.  The ones used as level bombers had level-bomber bomb sights.

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 12:01:14 AM »
Or a formation of TU2's could be used as Bombers, and a single TU2 with a limited payload could be used as attack/jabo. The plane set would be fairly evenly matched.
Spit16 vs La7
Spit8 vs yak3
B26 formation vs Tu2 Formation
Mossies vs Single Tu2

The Soviets would hold a slight edge on Fighters, where as the RAF would have a slight advantage in attack/bombers.

The late war uber rides may also attract more people. As for the ground war, seing that very few people decided to engage upon that aspect during the previous scenario I can't imagine that being overly popular in any future scenarios.

I though about the VVS vs IJAF matchup in 1945 Manchuria, the plane set seems unbalanced in favor of the VVS. I believe the 108 sentai was 50% Ki-44s and 50% ki-84s. We don't have Ki44s and 84s would get eatin alive by the LA7s

When i checked the frame, the LA7s would get restricted to only a few, with mainly there being LA5FNs, and the first frame the IJA dominated, they also dominated the second frame, at alt the ki84 dominates
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:19:20 AM by Randall172 »

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 12:09:41 AM »
All good ideas..... BUT.....

If we are going to run a 12 hour scenario, I vote for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlertag

And I am sure that the Luftwaffe command staff is already picked and ready to go!

Just have to decide who is doing what.

As I said after TARGET for TODAY I will CO the Luftwaffe if we run a 12 hour BoB  or what should be called

ALDERTAG

With the first frame lasting 2.5 hours taking place in the early morning with attacks on ports and radar
then a .5 hour break for CM to close and open logs and CO's to count and set up squadrons.
Then with another 2.5 hour frame taking place mid day with an all out air assault on the airfields. Then another .5 hour break. Again close and open logs and CO's to count and set up squadrons.
Then the final 2.5 hour frame happening late afternoon and early evening with attacks in smaller groups to what ever targets. Then close of frame.

Ever since we ran that 12 hour scenario, I have thought that Battle of Britain would be the perfect situation to highlight the awesomeness of a 12 hour event. It gives all time zones a chance to fly and the numbers for BOB have always been strong. With the .5 hour intermissions, it allows COs to have better counts and side balances before launch each frame. This was the big headache last time. Also, with the event taking place all on ONE (1) day, there is less of the fatal WIFE ACK that plagues many of us. I can easily get one day off from honey dues, but an entire month is a tough sell. I am going to be paying for Dnieper for a long time  :rolleyes:

Anyway,

Those are my thoughts and I am pretty sure that I can convince a large group of JG11 to fly in that one.

Thank you for your consideration and time

Ditto

Done called it... :neener:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2016, 01:55:32 AM »
Well for my vote I'd like to see a North Africa event again like Dawn of Battle. Granted the land war and some things would need to be tweaked, however, I just love the idea of flying desert camoed B25s NOE again.

Next to Battle Over Germany, DOB was one of my favorite scenarios. Besides DOB2 I'm up for another Battle of Britain if that's what everyone wants. Gotta fly some He111s.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:01:11 AM by Beefcake »
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 07:36:11 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petlyakov_Pe-2
"From the middle of 1942 defensive armament included 1 Berezin UB machine gun in the upper bombardier's turret, 1 Berezin UB in gunner's ventral hatch and 1 ShKAS which could be fired by a gunner from port, starboard or upper mountings."

So not enormously different from the Tu-2.

It was used as an attack plane (like the Il-2) and as a level bomber.  The ones used as level bombers had level-bomber bomb sights.
youre not adding anything unknown, but lets see some charts
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »
Operation Unthinkable
VVS vs RAF

Spit 14/16, Mossies and B26's

Yak3/9 la7s and Tu2s

This is where the PE2 would come in handy, maybe sub 110c?

The RAF didn't use B-26s in Northern Europe.  B-25s would be the closest fit to your model.  Also you need to add in Typhoons and Tempests as they were prevalent in May 45.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
Fencer!  Howdy!  :aok

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
And in that scenario I assume that RAF would use moss XVI as bombers.

But it would be a very uneven scenario since the RAF would dominate the skies at higher altitudes.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking