Author Topic: Time to rate "Battle of the Dnieper"  (Read 1312 times)

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Time to rate "Battle of the Dnieper"
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
Yes, the GV Element was added to keep the players involved as long as possible, but except for 715b  winning the ground war for us on his own, few people played that element.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 09:12:06 PM »
That is because it was removed from the fight... If it was part of the fight, would it have been different. I know the GV element does not work in scenarios very often but I think if set up right, with this being a tactical battle, it could work.

You think?
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:39 AM »
add CAS, IL2s and StukaG's to the GV war and I think you might have something
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 01:56:15 AM »
I had a lot of fun in Battle of the Dnieper
+5

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 02:19:46 AM »
The latest graph of scenario ratings.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:22:55 AM by Brooke »

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:38 AM »
4. The only reason for the dropped point, apart from the turnout (which I don't think had anything to do with the design), is that the ground game wasn't integrated into the air game at all.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 05:36:17 AM »
I give it +4 stars.  I hold back one star due to a couple of middl'in issues, over which I know neither side will 'respect' the concern or position of the other no matter what. Getting beyond that, having GV's involved simply as a playschool arena for dis-enchanted pilots is silly and to my mind similar to the concept of scofflaws in that if you can't or won't enforce it, why even have it.  I this case it's if it has no real purpose  or objective other than a sandbox for dead pilots why have it?  Gunning for buffs and covering bases with ack should keep downed pilots entertained.  Further on that, I think allowing air defense GV's on the forward bases instead of just the almost never used (or attacked) rear base makes sense in the future.
In retrospect, I think some of the minor concerns were magnified by the low turnout issue, which despite Roc's differing opinion is and should be a concern of everyone on both sides, and at all times, regardless of who is getting short changed.  I was much disheartened over the actual lack of concern and respect between both sides.  If often propounded post-battle attitude of "well fought, valiant enemy" were sincere, then I would expect each side would at least initially show more concern for the actual quality of the game for both sides, instead of getting, "oh, what a whiner", and "they're just sour grapes" crap.  I certainly want the other side to feel I'm concerned for how they perceive the event rather than being dismissive. I guess what I'm trying to say is we should all have a better attitude for the concerns of both sides in the event at all times, even if we feel it may be sour grapes or misperception or misinterpretation more than anything else.  Nothing worse than to think your opponent of today, who may be your wingman the next time, doesn't respect you as a worthy opponent with possibly valid concerns (right or wrong), but sees you just as a whiner.
Finally, the setup of requiring multiple bombing missions and the close proximity battlefield was most excellent and still one of the most fun and well-fought scenarios to date.  I actually enjoyed that fact that the NOE possibilities were fully exploited as well as the DAR/Dot Dar setup, which made for some real deceptive exploits. Still, I would rate the first Der Grosse Schlag as the only scenario, for me, that was better, but this was a very action-packed second.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
Yes, the GV Element was added to keep the players involved as long as possible, but except for 715b  winning the ground war for us on his own, few people played that element.

The GV element was designed as an afterthought and treated as one.

I've spent many years GVing in the MA.  I had no intention to participate in GVs in this scenario as there was no point in doing so.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:02:16 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 11:29:38 PM »
+ 3 Only reason I rated it this is because the turnout and the fact I could only make the last frame (even though it was the best frame I've ever had in scenarios or the FSO for that matter). That's the only reasons I couldn't give a +5!!! :salute :salute :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 01:34:12 AM »
+ 3 Only reason I rated it this is because the turnout and the fact I could only make the last frame (even though it was the best frame I've ever had in scenarios or the FSO for that matter). That's the only reasons I couldn't give a +5!!! :salute :salute :salute

I think it's better for ratings to represent how much a player liked or disliked the scenario, not how much he played in it.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 02:41:25 AM »
5.  I would have preferred a bit more variety in bombing targets over a wider playing area, but I did enjoy the scenario.   :aok
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 01:09:19 AM »
"One-Eye"