Author Topic: New Destroyer - wow  (Read 656 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
New Destroyer - wow
« on: July 21, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
As I was looking around the deck of the CV in Beta 3, I noticed the new destroyer model - and wow - amazing detail!

Anyone remember Destroyer Command? I remember it well as I really enjoyed the game. Bridge and other interfaces were quite simple.

Hitech - how hard would it to make a Destroyer 'player controllable'? Expectation would be similar to how we control PT boats now.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Destroyer - wow
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Hitech - how hard would it to make a Destroyer 'player controllable'? Expectation would be similar to how we control PT boats now.

Given that controlling the CV would be tied to rank as it is now, I'd also like to see an animated scene where a lower ranking captain gets pushed aside and down the stairs into oblivion.  :D
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
It really is a work of art.  Well done, men!

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »
So some $14.95 would be more equal than other $14.95....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:39:23 PM »
  Bizman -I- thought it was a funny comment.  :D

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
Make the torpedo tubes functional.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 04:35:14 PM »
Make the torpedo tubes functional.
...and re-loadable.  It would be also nice if more than one person could join your destroyer. Heck, it would be nice if you could have a captain and maybe up to 3-4 squadmates/invitees to man the AAA/5 inch. And if not, coordinate the AAA weapons like a bomber.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 05:50:57 PM »
This is something on my if-only-someday wishlist too, making the naval aspect of the game like the tanks, only better. Add submarines in as well, give the destroyers something to fight, and even add depth charges, skip bombing to naval patrol planes, etc. So much potential there - I'd love for the cruiser, destroyer, even future battleships/etc to all be player controllable in terms of their direction, speed, as well as the guns which we already have. It'd be a huge blast, particularly adding a Silent Service effect to the game with submarines, hunting down CV groups (historically the greatest threat to CVs were subs), and being hunted yourself...

The graphics are sure there, it'd look fantastic. Of course, busy times that they are in this development cycle, it's not reasonable to expect this anytime soon, but if it was built, many would love it I think.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
...and re-loadable.  It would be also nice if more than one person could join your destroyer. Heck, it would be nice if you could have a captain and maybe up to 3-4 squadmates/invitees to man the AAA/5 inch. And if not, coordinate the AAA weapons like a bomber.

If HTC devoted this much effort to create the destroyer, I doubt it's destined to be a wallflower to the task force.

- oldman

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 10:59:02 AM »
The new destroyer looks sweet!

As for being player controlled, how about having the entire task group go to individual control once the CV is down. They could double the time they will stay out before returning to the port spawn with new CV.

With the shallower draft, the player controlled destroyer should be able to go closer to shore than the other ships.
Game handle: HellBuck