Author Topic: Let's get more people back in the skies!  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Let's get more people back in the skies!
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »
They also at one time had a course of training events - I believe you signed up for the "course" and it was once a week for a month or so.  Covered fighter maneuvers, bombers, etc.  This might be helpful in getting players up to speed, if it were offered.  I can not remember if there was a fee for that training or not.  Of course, that was back when you were paying either $6/hr (GeNIE) or $2/hr through Delphi, so it wasn't anywhere near free in the terms we think of today...

Mike

That was the Air Warrior Training Academy and IIRC, it was a six week course.  I still have my original AWTA training manual from AW.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »

wwiionline used to do this reasonably well in that it had lots of town to fight over but not all were able to be captured all the time.  You had to open routes to the next town in order to assault it.  You could not simply bypass the fight.

I think this is the simplest thing to do and would help a lot.. You could keep all maps large and small. All forms of combat would ensue in a combat game.

1. Add additional wind layers that make high alt pinpoint bombing close to impossible.
2. Delay the autoguns from coming up after a base capture. Currently, after a base take the group immediately lands and warps to a different sector of the map.
3. Use smaller maps to focus the action, it would diminish the effect the smaller player base is having on gameplay.
4. Enable zone ENY to work in conjunction with arena ENY. Sure, you can fly your P51 but you need to do it against greater numbers or at least away from the pack.

I haven't logged into AH in about 2 months and I'm hesitant to keep paying for my account anymore. Hopefully something changes soon, but I'm not optimistic.

All points are on the mark.

- TWBYDHAS

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »
These 'save AH' posts always seem to revolve around trying to get new people to see how great this game is, bringing back the great old days where furballers were everywhere, base captures were epic, etc.  But what I can't recall is seeing one question:  What if potential customers have and are trying the game but just dont view it the same way you guys do?  What if many of them only see gamey features, dated graphics, mechanical and repetative gameplay, a monthly subscription required, an old FM, etc?    I hope I am wrong, but I do think more see it that way than don't and that's not good.

Oh hey Invictus.. didn't even know you played AH. What's up man, I'll see you soon on TWB ts I'm sure.  :D

Besides the old FM part... (it's actually not bad compared to a lot of games) this is pretty much what people see... an old game with dated graphics, and dated features. Everyone I've convinced to play AH didn't stick around for more than a month. From what I've seen of the beta so far, it's not going to be any better unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:39:23 PM by Krupinski »

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »
Hah!  What's up, Krup!?  And yeah, I'll be back on sometime this weekend I'm sure.  Still a little irritated about the hacker on WoL a few weeks ago.   Kind of soured BoS for me a bit, but I'll be back.  Been hitting the CLoD servers of late.

Oh, I am only trying out AH beta these days.    My comments and critiques aside, I do like AH and hope AH III is a success. 

But I still think killshooter is stupid.  :D

o7

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »
I play BoS almost every day, I've seen that guy playing a lot, but it doesn't seem like he's been doing anything suspicious. I've tried CloD a few times.. not sure I really like the flight models, the planes almost seem to fly too predictably. Not to mention the way TrackIR works in 109s when you're trying to aim down the sight....

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:13 PM »
I play BoS almost every day, I've seen that guy playing a lot, but it doesn't seem like he's been doing anything suspicious. I've tried CloD a few times.. not sure I really like the flight models, the planes almost seem to fly too predictably. Not to mention the way TrackIR works in 109s when you're trying to aim down the sight....

Oh God, not you too!  Pand complains about the sight as well.  Just lean over to the right when you are going to shoot.

CLoD's FM isnt nearly as advanced as BoS, but it is not bad.  Better than the old IL2 1946 FM for sure.   I think of it as somewhere between the War Thunder Sim Battle and BoS's FM.  The improvements to the FM that Team Fusion is introducing with the new 5.0 patch should make things more interesting, not to mention the new African theater and planes like the 109F, Spitfire V and P40.