Author Topic: youre playing a fighting game, stop hiding  (Read 7533 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Re: youre playing a fighting game, stop hiding
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2016, 01:56:46 PM »
There is no "all in one" solution that can solve this problem.  All you can do is add game elements that penalize bailing out or crashing a plane, and reward bringing a plane home. 
I like what used to happen in Red Baron when you played the war career - if you crashed, or got captured it would play some cinematic scenes for you causing a delay before you could re-up.   Since it was following the actual timeline of the war this caused you to lose a month of possible sorties and kills each time you crashed or ditched behind enemy lines.

Just put a re-up delay in place and key it to whether you land, bail, ditch, or crash in friendly or enemy territory. 
Land in friendly territory - no delay, go ahead and re-up.
Bail or Ditch in friendly territory - 30 sec delay while you are checked out by the flight surgeon.
Crash in friendly territory - 60 sec delay while you recover in the hospital
Land/Ditch in enemy territory - 60 sec delay while you escape back to your lines and rejoin your unit.
Bail in enemy territory - 90 sec delay while you escape back, and then get checked out by the flight surgeon before being returned to duty.
Crash in enemy territory - 2 minutes while you escape back, then get debriefed and checked out before being returned to duty.

You can add elements (like a x2 multiplier if your plane is undamaged when it happens, or a 0.5 multiplier if you get shot down & killed), and you can debate how long to make the delay, but it would provide a "penalty" for anything other than bringing your plane home and landing it successfully (which should always be a standard goal for any pilot). 

You can also add elements that are only received if you bring a plane home, or enhanced because you need the perks to purchase them for your plane.   You want gondies, or the big bombs, or drop tanks, rockets, etc. - make it cost a few perkies to get them and have to set it up and pay for it in the hanger for each plane type (then have it reset if you lose that ride since you are getting a new "factory fresh" ride). 

There are plenty of elements that can be added to discourage bailing - it just takes the will and programming time to make it happen.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:58:33 PM by EagleDNY »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
2 things-

1) Still shorter than the half hour it takes to bring your bomber home and land, so why is it a deterrant?
2) Enforced waiting in tower when paying for a game and having limited playtime is going to cause fuss.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
If someone bails it is usually because I killed them with my mind.  Ya know, like Scanners.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »

There are plenty of elements that can be added to discourage bailing - it just takes the will and programming time to make it happen.

All of the quips after my post appear to hit the target since the authors wouldn't address the question, and the above gets to the heart of the question. None of you want to try and answer why has Hitech chosen not to "force" us to fight over 15 years of watching all of this play out?

Adjusting the game to control human nature becomes "force" against the subscriber's choice of how they want to play. In the end the solution falls back on lobbying Hitech to force other players to play your way for their $14.95. In an open sand box world you allow the broadest discretion of individual player choice in how they will interact with that world.

Structured game models "force" players to fall in line or be penalized in some manner for lack of compliance. The creator of Aces High over the last 15 years appears to favor the open world model and not "force" his subscribers to fall in line. If they want to runaway from most fights not in their favor, that's up to them for their $14.95. Hitech does not seem disposed to expressing the will to penalize them for that.

As for the current game running on the servers, it is about to be retired. I doubt this conversation is restricted to AH2 in this audiences mind. It is obvious some of you look at AH3 as AH2 reupholstered in fake "Fine Corinthian Leather" as Ricardo Montalban used to say to the world for Chrysler. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »
All of the quips after my post appear to hit the target since the authors wouldn't address the question, and the above gets to the heart of the question. None of you want to try and answer why has Hitech chosen not to "force" us to fight over 15 years of watching all of this play out?

Adjusting the game to control human nature becomes "force" against the subscriber's choice of how they want to play. In the end the solution falls back on lobbying Hitech to force other players to play your way for their $14.95. In an open sand box world you allow the broadest discretion of individual player choice in how they will interact with that world.

Structured game models "force" players to fall in line or be penalized in some manner for lack of compliance. The creator of Aces High over the last 15 years appears to favor the open world model and not "force" his subscribers to fall in line. If they want to runaway from most fights not in their favor, that's up to them for their $14.95. Hitech does not seem disposed to expressing the will to penalize them for that.

As for the current game running on the servers, it is about to be retired. I doubt this conversation is restricted to AH2 in this audiences mind. It is obvious some of you look at AH3 as AH2 reupholstered in fake "Fine Corinthian Leather" as Ricardo Montalban used to say to the world for Chrysler.

You're always right. :old:   No direct reply to you is required as a result.   :banana:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:10:51 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
Even sneaking a base takes effort, provided the defenders come up and play. 

If the base is undefended you cannot blame it on the sneakers.

Agreed if you have a standing army ready to deploy when an alarm is sounded.  However, the current state sees few people spread over many bases and the time taken to RTB, switch bases and then re-up and be an effective fighting force is often too long to prevent a sneak.  Sure, people could auger to reduce that time but at what point do you auger?  The alarm might be for a lone 30k buff or a 15 strong sneak team.  Never really know until it is too late.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »
Agreed if you have a standing army ready to deploy when an alarm is sounded.  However, the current state sees few people spread over many bases and the time taken to RTB, switch bases and then re-up and be an effective fighting force is often too long to prevent a sneak.  Sure, people could auger to reduce that time but at what point do you auger?  The alarm might be for a lone 30k buff or a 15 strong sneak team.  Never really know until it is too late.

True. Which is why many of us (you, too, I think) have asked for smaller maps or fewer bases. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
You're always right. :old:   No direct reply to you is required as a result.   :banana:

resistance is futile submit, the Borg will assimilate you
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
I will tell this on myself.   A good many moons ago, I was defending a gv base with a worble.   This is before I learned to kill GVs with my P-38.  I towered a few times from concrete when I heard their bombs coming.  I got a nasty pm from a red but thought nothing more of it than some guy that was pissed.  Then I got pretty good at killing GV s with my P-38.   As you probably have seen where this story is going, a many GVs have safely towered on me when they heard my bomb coming.  Tigers being the number one.  Now it pisses me off.  Now if a bomb comes when I am in a GV, I just suck it up and take it because I know the player took a risk and had used some of his limited ords.

The point of the story is this.  it could be our bailing bombers have never climbed 30,000 feet in a fighter only to see the player bail.  If they had, they might just fight it out.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
My point is don't change a thing in the game, continue to run it based on the wishes of a bunch of 50 year old plus gents, some of which are never wrong and will emphatically let you know that. 
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »
All of the quips after my post appear to hit the target since the authors wouldn't address the question
Could you cut your walls of text into bricks for us not willing to sift through the bile for find said question.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
resistance is futile submit, the Borg will assimilate you

:rofl  :aok  :cheers:
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »
Could you cut your walls of text into bricks for us not willing to sift through the bile for find said question.

:rofl  :rock
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »
ACHOO!!!!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -