Author Topic: Chrome Vs Internet ex.  (Read 1540 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Chrome Vs Internet ex.
« on: July 16, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »
 :airplane: Would like to hear some pro's and con's on installing "Chrome" for a web browser!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Chrome Vs Internet ex.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
It's better and safer than IE in every conceivable way. No cons.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
thought this was about internet sex.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »
Chrome seperates every tab in a seperate thread, all extensions also get their own thread.

so if or when something crashes, it doesn't bring the whole browser along with it.

but most importantly, processors today will have multiple cores and this browser is able to harness the extra "hands" and run much faster.

so Chrome by a decade.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:58:32 AM »
Exploder has some compatibility issues on certain web sites. I suppose it's because they once were the leader and wanted websites to be coded their way instead of the standard. Now that IE has more and more become closer to the standard, the browser type recognizing system may still offer the non-standard code which won't work with the newest IE. Plus some other issues.

I'm not fully happy with Chrome either. There's a lot of pre-checked tick boxes in the advanced settings which say that they improve and enhance your browsing speed etc. What that exactly means is that they store your browsing history, preload the sites you've visited and of course make a marketing profile which they can sell to the advertisers. By default it also runs a bunch of background apps when the browser is closed. At worst it can be a huge resource hog with half a dozen processes runnng in the Task Manager. Of course it can be tamed, but an average user seldom goes through any settings. At default settings Chrome both collects my personal data and uses my computer resources in vain.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:08:39 AM »
Chrome seperates every tab in a seperate thread, all extensions also get their own thread.

so if or when something crashes, it doesn't bring the whole browser along with it.

but most importantly, processors today will have multiple cores and this browser is able to harness the extra "hands" and run much faster.

so Chrome by a decade.

Actually, all the browsers are multi-threaded.  Just FYI.

Personally, I do not care for Chrome.  It does some things for Google, which really irritate me.

No one should be using Internet Explorer.  Every other browser on the market is better.  When I find WEB sites catering to IE specifics, then I put that site on my block list and notify the webmaster of the offending site.  If enough people do that, then maybe we will be able to get to a reasonable level of support for the HTML standards.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:11:13 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
I switched to Firefox many years ago, and have never looked back. I could never really get into Chrome. The switch will take you a little while to get used to where all the buttons are, but I think you'll find it worth it whichever route you go.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 08:36:02 AM »
It's known that internet explorer has not kept up but many of it's problems stem from "upgrade fever" in that site coders use scripts that purposely choke out older browsers.

This is why you can see some instances where a simple web page of only 241kb consumes 1.8 gigs of physical memory and 50% of the processor.

This all leads to having to purchase newer OS's and hardware.

It's driven by money and has nothing to do with trying to deliver a better experience to the end user.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:39:00 AM by icepac »

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
Every tech support I handle starts with "are you using Chrome".
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Actually, all the browsers are multi-threaded.  Just FYI.

No one should be using Internet Explorer.  Every other browser on the market is better.

What web browser are you using these days, Skuzzy?

What do you think about "Pale Moon"?  I like it better than Fire Fox and Chrome, myself

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
I think skuzzy uses palemoon.  I am using palemoon because he suggested it.  but I am switching back to firefox as some of my banking sites dont work with palemoon.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 07:00:05 AM »
I use Pale Moon.  The primary reason I went to Pale Moon was simply due to the direction FireFox was going.  I also install the NoScript plug in.  I do not have Java installed.  I do not have Flash installed.

Yes, some bank sites are pretty convoluted.  Fortunately, I do not do business with any of them.

I would say most people would hate using my computer due to all the restrictions I put in place.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 07:51:26 AM »
---I would say most people would hate using my computer due to all the restrictions I put in place.

Heh, that reminds me of the launch of IE7. A French (IIRC) guru was interviewed about the security improvements. The guy was totally pissed off with Microsoft still not having done what he believed to be crucial. He had a list of 30 or so settings which in his opinion should be disabled. Well, being a novice in computing back then I started to work according to the list. Very soon I noticed that disabling everything pretty much prevented me to do what I wanted to do. So instead I set them mostly to "ask before". Pretty soon I went back to the defaults, or changed to another browser, can't remember for sure any more. Anyhow, that hardcore guru must've been a lot like you speaking about Internet security.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni