Author Topic: optic input for headsets  (Read 621 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
optic input for headsets
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
My trusty old turtle beach headset is slowly dying off. Little issues here and there only mean they will turn into big ones sooner rather than later.

Now I've hunted thru this thread....

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,382198.0.html

as well as this one....

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,383633.0.html

In my search I have come across a few headsets that connect using the optical cable into a mix box and then go to the headset wired or wirelessly.

Is the optical cable connect the "next best thing" or is sticking to a 3.5 min jack still the better way to go?

My son uses an Astro A50 wireless set and swears by them. Says he can hear guys foot step from around the corner in his shooting games. Hoping to get better sound to find GVs on the move better.

Thoughts?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: optic input for headsets
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
The optical cable, as far as I understand it, will take the digital signal outside the box to be converted to an audible analog signal. That means there should be much less interference caused by the electromagnetic radiation inside the case.

Also, unlike a USB DAC, you won't get another USB device to share the resources, nor another sound card to mix you up.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
I was never crazy about using a USB headset. It just doesn't make sense how that should work.

I would think with all the guys that mess with sound on these boards there would be more info bouncing around. 

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:56:08 AM »
I was never crazy about using a USB headset. It just doesn't make sense how that should work.

I would think with all the guys that mess with sound on these boards there would be more info bouncing around.

I'm with you for both the USB sound and the lack of sound experts.  :cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni