Author Topic: Whom would you let die?  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Whom would you let die?
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
If you can't avoid either driving through a Pokemon hunter or killing yourself by crashing a wall, what would you do? If there were two of them? If one was pregnant? If...

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Whom would you let die?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
If you can't avoid either driving through a Pokemon hunter or killing yourself by crashing a wall, what would you do? If there were two of them? If one was pregnant? If...

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

If no other way and they step out in the street... I would thin the herd.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
I would never drive a car that would knowingly kill me or risk my life to save others. My priorities are my passengers, then myself... then on a distant third the drunken ****** that stumbles into the street.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
Does this vehicle have a cow catcher?

Chuikov

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »
I would die  :devil
Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
toejam happens. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
The better solution is to never ride in an automated car.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
I would let all the bishops die.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 06:38:43 PM »

I did not click the link, just answered the question.

I do not ride in cars and would never ride in an automated vehicle.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »

You'd still have to make a decision if you are driving yourself. ;)

I'd love automated cars, 'cause I'm lazy and as a German I prefer someone else making the decisions for me  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »

They are coming and I imagine that they will be the norm, like automatic transmissions in our life time (and I'm talking us middle aged here).

What you're saying is avoid technology, like the way elevators were shunned and people yelled, "Get a horse!" at the first automobiles.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 09:21:02 PM »
Apples and oranges. Automatic transmissions and elevators are not programmed to kill you in order to save others.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »
Not at all Del.

I have 10 years experience as a dealer trained automotive technician who deals regularly with warranty repairs/claims and factory recalls. I have seen many, many problems caused because of the hubris of engineers who believe their designs are infallible. But here's the harsh truth - vehicle components are produced for the lowest price possible and when is comes to public safety, manufacturers (especially American) only care about the risk of lawsuits and the relative cost of fixing a problem vs. costs of litigation. Anyone who deals with automotive computer systems will tell you how prone the components are to failure. And that does not even begin to cover all the other factors which could contribute to a critical failure of a computer controlled system (wear and tear, environment, animals, etc.) The last thing I want is the removal of mechanical control of the vehicle.

Furthermore, an automated vehicle will further invite "drivers" to become distracted to the point of being another passenger. Hell, drivers are distracted too much as it is, the last thing society needs is to believe that the damn car can drive itself.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:50:31 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
Not at all Del.

I have 10 years experience as a dealer trained automotive technician who deals regularly with warranty repairs/claims and factory recalls. I have seen many, many problems caused because of the hubris of engineers who believe their designs are infallible. But here's the harsh truth - vehicle components are produced for the lowest price possible and when is comes to public safety, manufacturers (especially American) only care about the risk of lawsuits and the relative cost of fixing a problem vs. costs of litigation. Anyone who deals with automotive computer systems will tell you how prone the components are to failure. And that does not even begin to cover all the other factors which could contribute to a critical failure of a computer controlled system (wear and tear, environment, animals, etc.) The last thing I want is the removal of mechanical control of the vehicle.

Furthermore, an automated vehicle will further invite "drivers" to become distracted to the point of being another passenger. Hell, drivers are distracted too much as it is, the last thing society needs is to believe that the damn car can drive itself.

20 years tops, first thing to go will be transport jobs. the only things that are really needed is hardware in the road ie, markers on the lanes, and intersection signals that can be read, the way tesla is doing it now is just the beginning.

but on the moral dilemma, its the cars job to keep the occupants safe, and honestly I would refuse to get into a car that would choose to swerve into an obstacle, even if it has to hit baby parade.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:38:53 PM by Randall172 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »
Not at all Del.

The Titanic was unsinkable.
80th FS "Headhunters"