Author Topic: Whom would you let die?  (Read 5938 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Whom would you let die?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 04:04:39 AM »
Of course there is a market for self-driving cars. For personal transportation, but perhaps mostly for commercial transport. Have a nap while the car drives you home from work. I'd want that. The question being asked here is should your vehicle be allowed to kill you on purpose if certain "moral" circumstances comes up? If so, then I'll take the bus. I'm pretty sure the bus wins the "moral" arithmetic most of the time.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 05:05:25 AM »
I answered logically, as most people would.

But the issue is. If you ask the same question. And changed the people being killed to people you know personally. It will change the outcome in a 9/10 situation.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 05:31:14 AM »
Of course there is a market for self-driving cars. For personal transportation, but perhaps mostly for commercial transport. Have a nap while the car drives you home from work. I'd want that. The question being asked here is should your vehicle be allowed to kill you on purpose if certain "moral" circumstances comes up? If so, then I'll take the bus. I'm pretty sure the bus wins the "moral" arithmetic most of the time.

Build more railways then and get the commercial traffic off the road.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 06:10:53 AM »
And then we get into the systematic issues... Who gets to control the "moral" system? How will we make sure they can't be corrupted like everyone else in power?

So we have a low income family in a low-end autonomous Volvo. Brakes fail and they're set on an unavoidable collision with the limo of the President of the USA... Unless one of them swerve off the road into almost certain death. One family vs. a head of state? ... How about one low-income family in a Volvo vs a Fortune 500 CEO in his Maybach, whose death would have far reaching economic consequences? ... Suddenly we're into the dubious moral question of the relative worth of human lives.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
I answered logically, as most people would.

But the issue is. If you ask the same question. And changed the people being killed to people you know personally. It will change the outcome in a 9/10 situation.

Heh, I talked with my mother-in-law about this test and threw in some simplified questions like if you can't avoid killing someone with your car, would you let an old or a young one die. "Old". Boss or worker? "Boss". The congregation president or the pastor? "Now that's a tough one...". Your son or daughter/grandson or granddaughter? "Impossible to answer".
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
And then we get into the systematic issues... Who gets to control the "moral" system? How will we make sure they can't be corrupted like everyone else in power?

So we have a low income family in a low-end autonomous Volvo. Brakes fail and they're set on an unavoidable collision with the limo of the President of the USA... Unless one of them swerve off the road into almost certain death. One family vs. a head of state? ... How about one low-income family in a Volvo vs a Fortune 500 CEO in his Maybach, whose death would have far reaching economic consequences? ... Suddenly we're into the dubious moral question of the relative worth of human lives.

Stop bashing Volvo like a low end brand; :furious :)  i don't know how the cars are rated in Europe, but Volvo trucks are excellent $$$ making machines, beside Pete and KW one of the most "american" trucks left on the market ; Freighliner,International moved south. The engines designed in Sweden, but made in Hagerstown Viginia, trucks assembled in Greensboro,NC .This is my 2nd Volvo truck, bought it new, pampered with synthetics lube only , i passed 1,700,000 miles , still original Volvo 485HP,  no in frame yet,doesn't burn oil, original  Eaton Fuller 13 speed transmission and original differentials. I'm in shop now, i'm replacing all the 3 axles and suspension just for safety .

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:45:04 AM by ghi »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
That's Volvo Trucks which is still part of Swedish Volvo. Volvo Cars otoh has a CEO with the very Swedish sounding name of Li Shufu, and is now owned by Zhejiang Geely. Yeah... Volvo Cars is Chinese now...  :uhoh

Nice truck btw.  :aok

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »
Funny to see the dual MPH/KPH speed dial with KPH as the dominant one. Over here it is the other way around, on American cars.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
Heh, I talked with my mother-in-law about this test and threw in some simplified questions like if you can't avoid killing someone with your car, would you let an old or a young one die. "Old". Boss or worker? "Boss". The congregation president or the pastor? "Now that's a tough one...". Your son or daughter/grandson or granddaughter? "Impossible to answer".

Bone idle welfare scroungers  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
Questions like these are why Anton Chigurh carried coins.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »
Questions like these are why Anton Chigurh carried coins.

"What's the most you ever won due to a rounding error?"

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11