Author Topic: New Minimum Requirements  (Read 6889 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: New Minimum Requirements
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
For your card, set the texture to 512 and as others have mentioned, set the Environmental slider to 0.  AH3 is more GPU (video card) intensive than AH2 was (AH2 was CPU intensive versus GPU).

ack-ack
Yep, thx Ack-Ack,  i switched texture to 1024, enabled all video settings , works fine. But i would still get a new video card,  what would you recommend?  years ago i used to follow close Nvidia vs AMD, now i lost track of their products,.I want to enjoy it at maximum graphic settings not just a black & white Charlie Chaplin silent movie, (maybe watch some 4k pron sometimes :uhoh)
  http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:36:14 PM by ghi »

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:04 AM »
Ghi, an Nvidia 970GTX will suit you just fine.  It is fairly priced.  I have one it  is great.  Check the power supply requirements before purchasing.  Also PCI-E slot required.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 12:23:02 AM »
Yep, thx Ack-Ack,  i switched texture to 1024, enabled all video settings , works fine. But i would still get a new video card,  what would you recommend?  years ago i used to follow close Nvidia vs AMD, now i lost track of their products,.I want to enjoy it at maximum graphic settings not just a black & white Charlie Chaplin silent movie, (maybe watch some 4k pron sometimes :uhoh)
  http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

As Hajo said, the GTX 970 from Nvidia is a good card and will allow you to run AH3 at full settings.  Like Hajo, it's the card I have as well and I have no issues running the game at full settings and get a rock steady 60fps, and this is with a 5 year old CPU (i7-2600k).
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
Ghi, if you're looking for a 970 benchmark, I have an NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB, and I can play with every setting maxed out, field of view 110, 4k textures, and I get a solid 60 FPS.  I can also play with 150 degree field of view at 60 FPS, but it's like looking through a fish eye lens.   

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »
Be sure to look at the GTX 1060. It's in the same price range but appears to outperform the 970 and requires less power.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »
You also might consider the GTX 1060.  Same price as the GTX 970, slightly better performance, uses less power, and available to fit a smaller case (if necessary).
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 12:35:45 PM »
GTX 970 by Nvidia Class Action Settlement $30.00 http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-to-claim-your-30-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-settlement/

Thank you Waystin for the information, it's the first I'm hearing about this and will file a claim :cheers:

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
Honestly If I had to choose an upgrade that balanced fairly between the two camps, #1 being long time players without maybe the latest horse power, and #2 being players who want a meaningful graphics upgrade that enhances the pleasure of the game? I dont think I could chose a better balanced one then AH-III. Or the III that is being developed. I think it delivers both.

This upgrade is not an unrealistic systems Hog. In fact it is so well balanced, both in the write and with the settings, that even if you do have to upgrade a players doesnt have to go spends thousands of bucks. A decent home build will do and for many all thats needed is a new G-card/Power supply.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »
Re the 970 lawsuit, nVidia let me return both my 970s when I had them for a full refund, and they even took care of the shipping, and let me replace them with 980s through my regular shop at a very good price.  Nice to see they are taking care of others at least in some manner, 30$ is 30$ right, and the card really needed to be pushed into a situation IMO where the whole memory deal would even have an effect on gaming.

Question regarding textures - should you set textures to whatever your monitor is doing, IE if I'm running 1440p and not 4k, should I be using 2k, I'm not sure how it works exactly, are the 4k textures just in and of themselves composed of more detail/pixels/whatever regardless of what resolution you're using on your monitor?  That "4k is brave" comment made me wonder if I've been missing something the entire time.  My systems are managing 4k no problem, but I just don't want to be running 4k textures on 1440p/2k if there is no point in doing so, that kind of thing.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:29 PM »
Re the 970 lawsuit, nVidia let me return both my 970s when I had them for a full refund, and they even took care of the shipping, and let me replace them with 980s through my regular shop at a very good price.

:O

Were your 970s fairly new? 

Sure wouldn't mind getting two 980s.  :)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
:O

Were your 970s fairly new? 

Sure wouldn't mind getting two 980s.  :)

My 970 was new.  It does very very well in game and to boot it is cheap now!  I previously had a GTX750Ti that I also played the game with very well.  I disabled shadows and it played great!

I gave it to someone in game after I got the 970 so he could play also.  He loves it.  He didn't have the power supply that would take a GTX 970. No need to have over a 350 watt

power supply for the GTX750Ti!  It runs off the slot.  Cheap solution to play the game with anywhere from 40 to 60 fps with some sliders turned down just a bit, not all the way.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
My 970s have never given me a problem.   It's a great card in my opinion.

But I'd still jump to get a few 980s in exchange.   :D

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
Re the 970 lawsuit, nVidia let me return both my 970s when I had them for a full refund, and they even took care of the shipping, and let me replace them with 980s through my regular shop at a very good price.  Nice to see they are taking care of others at least in some manner, 30$ is 30$ right, and the card really needed to be pushed into a situation IMO where the whole memory deal would even have an effect on gaming.

Question regarding textures - should you set textures to whatever your monitor is doing, IE if I'm running 1440p and not 4k, should I be using 2k, I'm not sure how it works exactly, are the 4k textures just in and of themselves composed of more detail/pixels/whatever regardless of what resolution you're using on your monitor?  That "4k is brave" comment made me wonder if I've been missing something the entire time.  My systems are managing 4k no problem, but I just don't want to be running 4k textures on 1440p/2k if there is no point in doing so, that kind of thing.

The texture settings only shows when you are looking at things very close. Simple example is the side of a plane. If you are using 1k textures the you would need to be looking at the plane closer then the the length of the fuse covering your 4k monitor.  as soon as the fuse covers 1/4 of your screen you will then be magnifying the texture and loosing some detail, farther away there will be no difference between 1k or 4 k textures.

HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
Okay, thanks HT, great explanation.

My 970s were about 3 weeks old when that whole memory-gate thing happened.  IMO it didn't really make a huge diff for me, I just took advantage of the deal they offered for returning them as I wanted to move up to 980s anyway, and had no complaints re:970 performance whatsoever.