Author Topic: Flying the Flag  (Read 324 times)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Flying the Flag
« on: September 18, 2016, 09:47:19 PM »
So, what do y'all think?

There are about 5 car dealers on a main street at my place in the US. Three have had the flags at half mast since 9/11. They all leave the flags up through the night unlit. One dealer has a nasty, dirty flag that looks like it's 20 years old.

When I moved away from the US 24 years ago, people in stores said "Thank you" to customers and now customers have to say "Please" and "Thank you" to anyone in a store or restaurant if you want them to stop talking and do their job.

I don't remember businesses simply ignoring the customs associated with flying a flag. Sure they all want to appear like they're patriotic, if it will sell a few more cars.

Now, I don't call or ask them why they're flying it at half mast (or why they aren't when they're supposed to) anymore, because they get angry at me and harass me with phone calls because I forgot to block my number.

I say they should just stop flying a flag if they don't know, or care, how to do it.

Am I the one out of step with society now? What  say you? :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Flying the Flag
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »
You are correct. One thing though, where they used to lower the flag only when heads of state passed away, now they can lower it for about anything. Since so many here are not Americans they don't care about our flag.

I prefer that people not even fly it if they don't respect it. Same as the football players who are worthless trash not showing respect for our flag.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
You're old.   :D 

We are reaping the whirlwind.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:50 PM »
You're only out of step because you're the only one who notices. Get the local TV station to do a feature or something and they'll shape up overnight, maybe stick with it for 6 months.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 12:43:34 AM »
Maybe that old flag was up on 9/11/01 and they bring it out every year?