Author Topic: Gunnery woes - I think we are all feeling them at the moment  (Read 7908 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Gunnery woes - I think we are all feeling them at the moment
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:09:17 AM »
I get very frustrated with gunnery at the moment.  I cannot understand why it too so long for me to connect.

I was zoomed in at first and then zoomed out.  seems zoomed out is better.  I really do not think I needed to aim off more given the vectors of our aircraft but we can clearly see my bullets hitting the ground behind the target.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gunnery woes - I think we are all feeling them at the moment
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:26:36 AM »
I don't use 50 cals at all but to me it looked like you weren't pulling enough lead by a long way. Have you read 'Bag the Hun'?

About shooting, if you've got the yips you'll get nowhere until you first get rid of that idea. I have a few techniques to help if you need them.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:21 AM »
Seriously  any more lead and he would have almost been out of shot.  Plus, do you see how close I am?  Why do I hit when not zoomed in?

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:12:57 AM »
Seriously  any more lead and he would have almost been out of shot.  Plus, do you see how close I am?

Notice your G-meter right before you zoom in.  You are pulling over 2 G's when you start shooting and 3 G's when you finally pull out of your dive.  You are not flying in a straight line here, you are pulling a circle at the bottom of a dive. So, your bullets are not flying straight out to the pipper (your aim point), instead, they are dropping dramatically below your line of sight.  Had you been unloaded (1G), flying in a straight line, you might have hit with your initial amount of lead, but in this case you clearly need more lead due to the G-pull.

Seriously  any more lead and he would have almost been out of shot.

Yep.  The same as trying to shoot someone while pulling a high G turn.  With the proper lead amount, they are under your nose.

One solution to this is to set up a high over the nose view and get used to shooting from that view.  The Pony has a very good over the nose view actually if you push your view all the way up and all the way to the left or right (I use left, as most lufberys seem to go left and I can then still see the terrain while pulling lead).  You will have to get used to where your aim point is, though, as you won't have the reflector sight.  You can use a "death dot" on your monitor, or simply get used to where the aim point is through practice.

Another solution is to use an "out of plane" attack, where you come in from an angle rather than dead six.  The off angle will allow you to roll into your target and keep them out from under your nose.  This takes some practice and can reduce your time on target, but it can be a very effective bomber attack method.  The out of plane attack also makes you a harder target for the bomber gunners as well.

Plus, do you see how close I am?  Why do I hit when not zoomed in?

In this case, I don't think the distance is a major factor, but the G's force at the time of shooting is.

As far as zoom, my guess is when you aren't zoomed in you probably apply more lead because you have a wider field of view and are anticipating the shot more than "aiming" the pipper.

Hope these comments help.  Feel free to hit me up if you want to practice shooting at me in the TA some time.

<S>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:15:02 AM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »
Seriously  any more lead and he would have almost been out of shot.

Evidently not. How do you explain the shots visibly falling behind? The weapon system on the aircraft you were flying suggests tracking shots. Bag the Hun might help you with your angle off. Someone even made a video of it:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsIz2bIBLwM

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:00:26 PM »
Under a 2G load your 50 cal rounds have an IP point at 300yds of 20ft below the static set point at 1G during harmonization. When you opened fire in your dive, you aimed way too low for your G load. Same thing happens when you dive down to pick someone while trying to pull ahead of them with a snap shot as they begin their break turn. The requirements of the 100mph principle in the turn exacerbated by G impacting trajectory makes the shot a low probability.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:35:10 PM »
Unloaded is 0 G not 1 G.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »
Unloaded is 0 G not 1 G.

From an aerodynamics standpoint, you are correct that 1G is a G load.  But the question and answer are in the context of discussing gunnery.

For gunnery purposes, I am referring to "unloaded" as not pulling any radial G.  In my example above, I am saying that if he were flying 1G (not pulling any additional radial G) the bullets would rise to and converge at the pipper - an "unloaded" shot in gunnery terms.

The point being, when pulling G's during a tracking shot, additional lead is required.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:06:34 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
yes Fess.....I am really struggling to get to grips within AH3....have no idea why but shots I used to make are just not happening....I can empty a full ammo load and not inflict any discernible damage  it seems.... I know I didn't have the greatest aim before...now though I am worse than ever....finding it very frustrating.....
Some of mine is the sounds...getting used to the different sounds is getting me all messed up...SA is way down but getting there....gunnery though is really doing my head in....

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
Can't wait for the tour to finish to investigate possible fighter hit% changes on a global scale   :x
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
My current issue with gunnery in AH3...I've always had bad aim because I suck, Screen jumps everytime I use vox then whenever the game feels like...completely random, and the hit sprites are throwing me off, they look like I had just hit them with a tator but really it was just a few 50s
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »
you aim looked off to me.  Your zoom eliminates view of the g indicator; from what is visible you were pulling 2-3 gs throughout the firing time.

It appears to be operator error.  Try shooting drones offline to get your confidence up.

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »
I get very frustrated with gunnery at the moment.  I cannot understand why it too so long for me to connect.

I was zoomed in at first and then zoomed out.  seems zoomed out is better.  I really do not think I needed to aim off more given the vectors of our aircraft but we can clearly see my bullets hitting the ground behind the target.

Try the gunsight aid in the training arena or offline to see the proper lead. CTRL-TAB to select friendly lock and TAB to select the target aircraft. You will see that a hard turning aircraft often disappears under your nose when you pull enough lead.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:39:03 PM by FLS »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »
Don't need to see any G indicator. It's obvious that you are giving to little lead. With such an approach, you must put your pipper way in front of the bombers. With such a fast diving approach you not only have to compensate for your own maneuver, but also for the path of the bombers, which are not flying in the same plane (level) as you.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »
when you see his spray catch up he is very close and also settling into the bombers vector.  still, the ark of the shot caused by his turn required the amount of lead he gave at the initial point of firing.  For contact at the initial point the required lead would need to be magnified by the distance considering both of lusches points.  I would guess out side the ring and possibly have to look over the nose a bit?  busters factual understanding of how to use a gunsight could give some good incite towards finding a acurate visual mark.