Author Topic: AW3 Planes without the Sightglass  (Read 2171 times)

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
AW3 Planes without the Sightglass
« on: September 12, 2016, 12:30:28 PM »
I'm having trouble see the planes in AW3 because of the landscape detail even with everything turned down. In AW2 I had all terrain setting minimized so I mostly saw planes pretty clear. In AW3 even with all terrain details minimzed its still busy.
It would help to be able to disable the sightglass to at least reduce some obstructions. I don't think it would take away from the game any but actually would make better.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: AW3 Planes without the Sightglass
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
Doing any such change to Air Warrior III would require a time machine set to at least 15 years ago...  :noid

:bolt:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
No sight glass in WW1.   :D

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »
Unfortunately they can't get rid of the gunsights in the planes.  However, you can customize your gunsight.  If you just want it to be a dot, you can make it that way.  But the glass portion will always be there.

On a side note, as a kid I went to the Smithsonian and got to look through an illuminated mk14 gunsight.  It was actually difficult to get it lined up so that I could see the reflected image.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »
On a side note, as a kid I went to the Smithsonian and got to look through an illuminated mk14 gunsight.  It was actually difficult to get it lined up so that I could see the reflected image.

HUDs are the same. I've never been able to get my seat into a position to naturally look through it and see everything I need to. I end up sitting so that the compass tape at the top is cut off when I sit upright so I can still see the angle of bank indicator on the bottom. I just slump a little if I REALLY need the heading on the HUD.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »
HUDs are the same. I've never been able to get my seat into a position to naturally look through it and see everything I need to. I end up sitting so that the compass tape at the top is cut off when I sit upright so I can still see the angle of bank indicator on the bottom. I just slump a little if I REALLY need the heading on the HUD.

How tall are you?
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 12:06:02 AM »
6-3 here Serenity, you talking about WW2 cockpits, or present day stuff.  I never had a problem in the old stuff, with the exception of German and British aircraft.  Have not experienced too much modern day stuff.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
6-3 here Serenity, you talking about WW2 cockpits, or present day stuff.  I never had a problem in the old stuff, with the exception of German and British aircraft.  Have not experienced too much modern day stuff.

I've never had the good fortune of sitting in any vintage aircraft, but the modern HUDs have never really worked well for me.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
I've never had the good fortune of sitting in any vintage aircraft, but the modern HUDs have never really worked well for me.

I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

- oldman

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 07:55:45 PM »

I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

- oldman

lol. Just saying, of the 50 plus aircraft with HUDs I've flown, I've never found one that I could get to align properly.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 01:12:47 PM »
I'm having trouble see the planes in AW3 because of the landscape detail even with everything turned down. In AW2 I had all terrain setting minimized so I mostly saw planes pretty clear. In AW3 even with all terrain details minimzed its still busy.
It would help to be able to disable the sightglass to at least reduce some obstructions. I don't think it would take away from the game any but actually would make better.

The Tempest, some late Typhoon, some late F4u and some early P40 had no sight head mounted to their gunsight body. The reticle was projected directly on the inside of the windscreen or a large sheet of glass just inside of the windscreen. The best you will do is use only a dot as your reticle or even no reticle at all. In AHIII the gunsight alpha slider is active in flight so you can test turning off the reticle and see how it works for you. You can try the AHIII Tempest gunsight file or there is a tiny white cross gunsight file in the usaK14 series.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 08:53:13 AM »
You guys can find the "default" head position, at least horizontally, by panning your view, while parked on the runway and putting the "O" in "auto take Off mode active" dead center in the seat.  ;)

Then... tinker with the vertical and set THAT spot as your default head position. When you need the gun sight you will have programmed that to a hotkey somewhere. ;)  Compare how often you're using the gun sight or even the guns vs viewing outside your cockpit?

I set a "true" pilot view in all of my planes for the default view. It pains me to sit behind the gun site in the Mossie Mk IV (and many other planes) when it is so obvious that the pilot naturally sits to the left and his head position is higher. A few planes I dont bother with because the sights are so close to the natural head position.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.