Author Topic: HOTAS Warthog - need some tips  (Read 1748 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Re: HOTAS Warthog - need some tips
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 03:46:02 AM »
GMan - I wasn't clear enough. My intention isn't coping someone else's setup, i know it is personal. Rather looking for inspiring things one can do with all those bells and whistles that throttle has :) Script that is underneath the configuration could also display some advanced mapping techniques, that's all.

Found something i was looking for:

simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3429294/New_Warthog_Here_s_the_TARGET_.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:34:10 AM by fd ski »

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »
FD Ski - That's a good find.  However, it's still pretty much advanced for me.  The truth of Randy's response rang a bell for me.  It helps to have a pretty good use case for each control before you start into TARGET programming.

My Warthog was delivered yesterday.  My first look at TARGET was a little daunting, I admit.

Personally, use cases keep me on point while I'm trying to learn foibles and nuances (syntax) of script language outputs.

I think I'm going to have to ratchet down my expectations of quick success and respect the learning curve more.  I wish TARGET was easier to visualize.  But it's not in my case.

Best of luck on your journey!

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »
I just program in AH. What do you need to do that you need advanced Target programming?

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 12:18:37 PM »
ok, played around with target and got it working, basically switched so that DX hat is now a small hat in lower left part of the stick rather then large gray one on top right. That one i can reach easier with my thumb and it works in 45deg directions ( gray one in the middle of the stick is a 4 way not an 8 way unfortunatelly)

FOllowing code added to the script will switch those hats. Make sure not to include the throttle in the profile as to retain two devices and all those lovely DX buttons.

This script also turns old hat ( gray one ) into 4 DX buttons ( from 20 to 23 ) so that they can be mapped for trimmers and such.

script as follows:
MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H2U, DXHATUP, DXHATUP, DXHATUP, DXHATUP, DXHATUP, DXHATUP);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H2R, DXHATRIGHT, DXHATRIGHT, DXHATRIGHT, DXHATRIGHT, DXHATRIGHT, DXHATRIGHT);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H2D, DXHATDOWN, DXHATDOWN, DXHATDOWN, DXHATDOWN, DXHATDOWN, DXHATDOWN);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H2L, DXHATLEFT, DXHATLEFT, DXHATLEFT, DXHATLEFT, DXHATLEFT, DXHATLEFT);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H1U, DX20, DX20, DX20, DX20, DX20, DX20);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H1D, DX22, DX22, DX22, DX22, DX22, DX22);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H1L, DX23, DX23, DX23, DX23, DX23, DX23);
   MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, H1R, DX21, DX21, DX21, DX21, DX21, DX21);

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
I just program in AH. What do you need to do that you need advanced Target programming?

Teamspeak mike button is the only thing that comes to mind, to answer your question directly.

TARGET should be useful for using a single control to do multiple key strokes...like a single control to open bomb doors - jump in the nose - bring up the E6B - set salvo to 3 - reduce rpm by a notch - and enter calibration.  Call the button "Pre-Bomb Checklist".  That's what I meant by a use case.  Landing configuration might be another one, for example.

But to your point, most folks don't need to bother with that.

I'm going to have to be real fluent in TARGET before I get that far.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »
Can't teamspeak see the Wathog DX button press?

I understand the point of programming, it's good for text macro's in VR for example, I was just curious what people were doing with it.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »
TS works just fine with DX button.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 06:32:35 AM »

I use target to buffer program .commands like salvo 6, climb speed, and bomber calibration.  I also use it to set functions like wep on the throttle.

I also have hand tremors making a single button press difficult.  IN TARGET I can set a delay to compensate.

BTW, the button set for team speak is set in team speak so you make no button assignment in target and or ah.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
I just use Target to turn the lights down.  :D The throttle doesn't remember settings like the MFDs.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
I'm sure the DX button is fine for most folks.  I'm not trying to convince anybody to do what I do.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  My X55 programs have everything in them pertaining to the HOTAS...including the TeamSpeak mike 'hot button' (which is set up in TeamSpeak) and a command for centering TrackIR.

If that screws up (it never has) I would only have two places to troubleshoot.

For whatever the reason, my early days in Aces High had a large number of stick program problems usually resulting in my sticks being spontaneously un-programmed in the game.  I didn't know half of what I do now after 9 years.  I know now that I should have been backing up all my settings someplace.  It was easier then to solve by programming outside the game.  Haven't had a problem since.

It's a personal preference and I certainly respect yours.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG