Author Topic: FOV  (Read 595 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
FOV
« on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:54 PM »
I understand what this is, what it does, but I always perceived it as a method to extend your perifphial vision in the game.

AH3, I'm getting setup again, trying out different options, I come to realize that FOV has to be different for each different plane in real life. It also appears, to me, to create a bit of cockpit reality, that it should be used to create the proper relationship between pilot and the instrument panel, gun sight and actual basic views. In AH2 I flew at 110 fov. AH3 I am toying with 85-95, and its a bit disorienting but I feel as in the P51, that I should be closer to instrument panel, than 110 does.
Basically I need to improve my shooting abilities by making it as easy to see as possible.

Question is, in fighters, in real life averages, how far is your nose from the instrument panel?
How far is it in bombers?

It seem in real life that pilots are perched up high in cockpit from sitting on chute, in game it feels like you are sitting in a low rider.
 :salute

ps: maybe a pic would help...................
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: FOV
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
You can move closer to the instruments without changing FOV. Use the up arrow on the keyboard and save with F10.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:14:28 PM »
I know,

but for actual positioning of my head to instrumentation, how far away is it from my nose to the instrument panel in a real ww2 fighter aircraft? an average..
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 10:15:28 PM »
I'm not aware of a universal average position. In real life everyone's FOV was their eyesight or limited by their goggles. Some aircraft had adjustable seats. Different aircraft had different cockpit dimensions. The default position is likely accurate enough for the average size pilot and they probably moved around as needed to see things better.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »
One interesting approch is do a google on say P-51 cockpit then go to images.  Sooner or later you will come across a ww2 picture that will give you a good visual.  I did that on the P-38 when I worked with different fov setting.

The new 80 FOV is a good compromise for our new players.  Then with experience, a newbie can set the FOV to fit their style.

I set my fov to 93.  I try to pick a setting as low as I can go and still get a full field of view when say looking back and up.