Author Topic: Good bye, Cabelas.  (Read 3372 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Good bye, Cabelas.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
Its been in the works for 2 years...I don't see one going in in Bethlehem. The folks that run that town cant agree what color the sky is, let alone anything of this magnitude   :D

I was born in that town.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
If they buy them out and keep them separate it should be fine.

It's my understanding that this is the plan!  I have a friend who works a cabelas and he was told that BP was planning on keeping both separate,some stores may close but otherwise it will be business as usual.

:salute

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
Those are city folks actually.
Most rednecks come from cities, you might be thinking of hillbillies.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 10:33:05 PM »
Feds may not allow the merger according to a report today. I don't see how they can stop it as it is 2 retailers of recreational products. not like it is medicine or something.

68valu
Flying since tour 84

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »
Yep.   Mallcrawlers.
jeeps are famous for this
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 01:41:46 AM »
Feds may not allow the merger according to a report today. I don't see how they can stop it as it is 2 retailers of recreational products. not like it is medicine or something.

because they can corner the market and raise prices.  you think if wall mart was the only retailer that it would sell their crappy clothes at low prices?

semp

68valu
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 05:12:55 AM »

68valu
Well, I mean you basically have 2 out of 3 or so of the main stores for this kind of thing merging. I could see the feds taking issue with that.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
Given theres Gander Mountain and LL Bean still around (I know LLBean isn't the same but kind of) I think it would go thru....Who knows...the Feds are fickled
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
Yep.   Mallcrawlers.

jeeps are famous for this

Drove to the mall just to get this picture.  :D

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
Well, I mean you basically have 2 out of 3 or so of the main stores for this kind of thing merging. I could see the feds taking issue with that.

Plenty of stores still offer sporting goods of this type. Walmart, Fred Meyer, Bimart (local region) are some of the bigger operations, but plenty of smaller stores still around, and no laws regulating starting a new chain. I don't see it as a bad thing. Worst case they raise prices then other operators open and offer the same stuff for less. Best case they reduce prices because of more buying power.

68valu                     
Flying since tour 84

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 08:06:37 PM »
68valu the thing is that they can do like wallmart does.  offer lower prices till the local competition is gone.  once there's no competition what stops them from offering higher prices?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
I don't care what happens to Cabelas or Bass Pro as long as they leave REI alone.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »
Given theres Gander Mountain and LL Bean still around (I know LLBean isn't the same but kind of) I think it would go thru....Who knows...the Feds are fickled

Gander mountain's prices are stupid expensive.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »

Gander mountain's prices are stupid expensive.

Yep. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 12:26:56 AM »
68valu the thing is that they can do like wallmart does.  offer lower prices till the local competition is gone.  once there's no competition what stops them from offering higher prices?

semp

if that happens then somebody will open up competition for less money. That is how capitalism works. There will always be an entity looking for a way to make a buck. Most of the stuff being sold by cabelas is made in China now and the chinese will always sell their stuff to anyone willing to buy it. That sucks for American industry, but until we as americans are more competitive industry wise that is just the way it is going to be. You can get on Alibaba and contact chinese manufacturers directly and get wholesale pricing on bulk purchases as long as you have the cash.

68valu
Flying since tour 84