Author Topic: Environment mapping bug  (Read 310 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Environment mapping bug
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:32:18 AM »
Environment mapping is producing some weird looking reflections, I have applied a pure white (chrome-like) environment map to a Hurricane skin to illustrate the issue. There are parts of the airframe being reflected that should not be, based on the viewing angles.

The top right shot incorrectly shows what looks like the RH fuselage being reflected off the LH fuselage, while the top left screenshot correctly just shows the reflection of the sky and ground. The bottom left screenshot shows the correct reflection of the ground, while the bottom right screenshot incorrectly shows a reflection of the RH wing on the LH wing.

I'd say some environment reflection angles are being miscalculated by 90 degrees, perhaps depending on whether its a plus or minus viewing angle.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Environment mapping bug
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:37:04 AM »
Just checking to make sure you do not have your environment map slider set to none?

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
Nope, the environment slider is set to 1.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
Just checking to make sure you do not have your environment map slider set to none?

HiTech
I have it set to none and i also get that effect
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »
No screenshot at this time but I noticed this in the B17 on the engine coverings. Look out to my left, see instruments from my co-pilot positions stretched out and wrapped around the engine cowling.  Seems to not care about surfaces in the way of the reflection.  I will try to remember tonight to email them out. 

Even though it's not supposed to be there, still looks amazing! Keep it up Texas Code Ticklers!  :cheers:
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
Same sort of thing happens on my machine even with EM set to full.  Attached example shows the Spit roundel being impossibly reflected in the engine cowling.

I've also noticed that building windows or shiny plane skins only reflect the ground; no trees, clutter, buildings, or other planes/vehicles (although I suspect that is a deliberate compromise to increase frame rate).  The reflections off water seem to be correct and do including buildings and trees etc.