Author Topic: What should the February Scenario be?  (Read 10409 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Re: What should the February Scenario be?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
I'd love to fly in the Pacific again but I will never fly those dag on Betty's again. Something about "Beefcake" and open flames.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »
See the problem Hajo?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 08:35:11 PM »
I guess I didn't make myself clear... I meant the the relative difference in performance in the Pacific theater is a problem. I typically fly Axis because they need the people, because most want to fly Allied.

I'd agree on this.  No matter what you do, it will feel unbalanced and getting folks into the Japanese birds will always be harder.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 10:09:14 PM »
It still leaves 1942 though... Which is kinda balanced. Meaning that the best and newest fighters the Japanese fielded, the Zeke and Tony, were a match for the (and you'll forgive me for saying so) piss-poor pre-war P-39, P-40 and F4F... So Coral Sea, Midway (what a fitting name for the turning point in a war), New Guinea, the Solomons and Guadalcanal are still good historical settings for a balanced scenario IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:18:09 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »
Rabaul...

Traditional scenario...

2 life frame...

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2016, 01:26:58 AM »
There are some types of Pacific fighter setups that aren't lopsided.

Zeros and Ki-43's are OK vs. F4F's, P-40's, and to some extent P-39's (this is like Coral Sea and Rangoon)
Ki-84's, N1K's, Ki-61's are OK vs. American stuff (like Philippines and last frame of Pacific War)

What doesn't work is Zeros/Ki-43's vs. later American stuff.  That is just too lopsided.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2016, 03:52:42 AM »
I think a Guadalcanal setup would be fun, except you'd have to make the IJAAF hit the American fleets as well, because a scenario with a single central target almost always results in a loss for the attackers.

A6M3, Ki-43, D3A, B5N, G4M

vs.

F4F, P-40C, SBD, TBM
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2016, 06:31:04 AM »
From what I have read and understand, the first P-40s on Guadalcanal were P-40Fs around November of 1942.

It looks like New Guinea got the P-40E's (Allison Engined) and the Solomons got the P-40F (Merlin Engined).
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »
From what I have read and understand, the first P-40s on Guadalcanal were P-40Fs around November of 1942.

It looks like New Guinea got the P-40E's (Allison Engined) and the Solomons got the P-40F (Merlin Engined).

I'll fly a "Merlined" Warhawk in any event.   :aok :salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 12:04:14 PM »

You may be in luck!  :noid
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
Used to LOVE the P-40 till HT nerfed it. My biggest complaint with the updated version is gunsight which is flippin useless. It's too small and too low.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
I think the RAF Circus Operations would be a good scenario. Quick action over the channel to France with 109 F-4's vs Spit V's. Count me in! :aok

Stampf, if it's a Luftwaffe setup, do ya mind if I tag along with you guys?
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
Used to LOVE the P-40 till HT nerfed it. My biggest complaint with the updated version is gunsight which is flippin useless. It's too small and too low.

Remember the P-40E from about 6 or 7 years ago. It was faster than a P-40 should have been and it had an added bonus... wait for it.

It had WEP.  :cool:

The P-40F is likely the plane the Allies flew in the deserts of North Africa. It surely wasn't a Katana blade, more like a dull switch blade. I can still kill you with it, but it might take me a minute.  :)

I agree on the gunsight, so I switched to a German gunsight and all is well.  :aok

I had a great time this scenario in the Warhawk. This scenario produced some awesome fights.

I want to  :salute the Axis fighter pilot corp. Not only did you guys sign-up the best. You plotted, planned and executed a butt whoppin.  :cry

Congratulations!

Maybe next time ah?

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
I agree on the gunsight, so I switched to a German gunsight and all is well.  :aok
My beef is with the size of the glass/mount the sight is projected on. It's about 1/3 of the size it should be. I've had my head inside the real thing and the sight takes up the majority of the forward visibility.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.