Author Topic: Curious about your take on the new radar on the clipboard map  (Read 1232 times)

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Re: Curious about your take on the new radar on the clipboard map
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
I'd make dot dar visible from the tower only.  Bar Dar not so worried about.

Adds another layer of fun and gives downed squaddies a job of some importance.  Also allows for a side to gamble a player or two and set up a ground organisation.

Don't like the ability to distinguish between bombers and fighters in any arena.  It takes quite a skilled operator using raw radar in R/L.  Not needed in AH.

:aok

I like it.  Talk about immersion?

Pilot "Where are they?"

Ground  "Head to 11, 12, 2"

Pilot  "I am in 11, 12 ,2"

Ground "Oh, my bad, I meant 12, 11 ,8"

:rofl

Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
I'd make dot dar visible from the tower only.  Bar Dar not so worried about.

Adds another layer of fun and gives downed squaddies a job of some importance.  Also allows for a side to gamble a player or two and set up a ground organisation.

Don't like the ability to distinguish between bombers and fighters in any arena.  It takes quite a skilled operator using raw radar in R/L.  Not needed in AH.
Agreed. 100%.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
{snip}

It's not about stopping to wait for the couple of stragglers, it's about the stragglers having the info to know where to go and get there as best they can.1  If too much of the squad is broken up, then a rally is generally a good idea.

Communication is key, 2 the main thing is to keep nonessential stuff like position requests over text rather than vox. {snip}

Wiley.

See  :rolleyes:  This IS exactly what I mean.

1 No plan to rally, only to proceed to target.  Not to give away any trade secrets, but I sure am glad that I have been fortunate with commanders that did not agree with that logic.

2 Communication should help keep the force focused.  Leaving any of a squad's members to their own devices  :headscratch:   only weakens the remaining force.  Unlike the Main Arena, combat is scripted (or should be) to put forth the best plan.

Real talk.... If you are not within visual range of friendlies, there is no amount of communication on vox or text that will "WARP" your aircraft to their position.  Lose altitude, or simply just have enough separation, you will not catch up to them unless they make some sort of maneuver to rally and recover you.

I think radar is important to relay ACCURATE information, it would be helpful if squads had a heightened capability, independent of country dar.  That would mimic squad interaction that would not clog text buffer or vox.   However, to answer the OP, radar information was a success and added to the overall enjoyment of the scenario.  You fellas do an amazing job of herding cats.  :rock

:aok

I like it.  Talk about immersion?

Pilot "Where are they?"

Ground  "Head to 11, 12, 2"

Pilot  "I am in 11, 12 ,2"

Ground "Oh, my bad, I meant 12, 11 ,8"

:rofl

I love Ditto's comment.... as it is a humorous yet perfectly accurate portrayal of events as they occur in the heat of battle.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:51:55 PM by Chilli »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 04:29:35 PM »
In the end the icon dar didn't make much difference to the old dot dar spotting methods. The current set up on dar makes for a good balance.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho