Author Topic: Where scenarios go from here.  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Where scenarios go from here.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »
I don't care for the times scenarios begin since the strokes...
I can rarely can last past 0700 cst
But that is just me and I don't wish ya'll change the
time just for my sake ! I keep watching the scenario
board just in case I manage to stay up anyway
 :o
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 04:12:03 PM »
ROC I do know times have changed as you pointed out and I did so in my opinion in this post also.  The numbers of participants in Scenarios has dropped greatly we know this for a fact.

I used to see KOOL and others involved in scenarios hoping that what we experienced back in the day would still be possible.  ROC I also read as you know the bickering and complaining

in the Axis posts.  I saw the same in the general scenario posts and those just on this past scenario about scoring and people being accused of foul play.  Indeed the world has changed.  I agree. 

Has it been for better or worse?  The only evidence I have is the large decrease in numbers involved in scenarios.  The "dumbing down" so to speak.  This in effort to get more involved.

This is in no defense of Brooke, he doesn't need any. He worked his arse off to get people interested and registered.  For that he should be applauded. What I saw was akin to a bunch of old hens

squeaking about the whole affair. This seems to be the norm now.  Didn't used to be.  Now accusations about scoring and loadouts fly freely around here.  Pity.  To many children and not enough

adults involved anymore. At this point it doesn't matter to me.  I am taking a break from the game and I know that my participation in future Scenarios is done. This will be of little or no consequence

to the future of AH.  I often wonder why participation in the game has decreased as well.  Generational change.  Hope the game makes it.  The scenarios at this rate won't.  Not fun for me anymore.

Not worth my time when I have other things to do that are more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:15:42 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
Sorry to see you taking a break Hajo, but what some see as bickering, others see as important.  There were issues in advance that were brought up in a healthy discussion, no bickering. There were some absolutes that were brought up and I was told flat out the objects were not counted with as much detail as I do but he felt it was close enough and ok.  I told him outright he needed to count again, as I had already counted them.  Dismissed. Well, there you go. If you see this as whining, that's not something I can fix.  There were some who worked just as tirelessly as Brooke to promote and encourage participation as well as improve the design. Much of which would have been even good for your side.  Now, yes the Axis won, that is irrelevant, there were some serious breaches in that event that cannot occur if people are going to trust that their month of training, mission prep and immersion in the event  won't simply be upended at the last minute.  You want less instant gratification but you are bemoaning our efforts to make sure that the detail is something we can TRUST to the point that we are willing to invest a great deal of time and energy, like it was in the past.
You can't have both.  You can't simply shrug off lack of detail and balance then expect people to invest time in preparation if the CM on duty is just going to toss it in the air.  Not when these issues were discussed in advance, not when the problems were shown, not when we knew how badly it could go and try to prevent it.  You were not part of the discussion on our side with Brooke, for you to now relegate this to whining is a bit of a shame. 
Did you not realize we had a nuclear option that was built into the design that we chose not to use?  You think you guys got beat, but we didn't do what we could have done, and planned for as a possibility.  This event was designed so that we could have easily, yes easily, ignored the Allied first attack completely, and hovered off your fields while you returned from your triumphant assault.  Then immediately set a cap over your fields and you wouldn't have gotten in the air for the next 11 hours.  Our targets were your launch fields.  Half our fighters and a few attack planes just sitting over you, popping you as you take off and blow your launch window, we get free reign over the targets, what a lovely day that would have been for you :) We thought about it, there is no way you could have stopped it.  There was the absolute potential for you guys to do the same.  Now, you could have gotten into the ground guns and shot us, but wait...flight was disabled.  There was no ground defense available at all during that event. None.  Although the comments from Brooke when we discussed the capping fields was that ground guns would prevent that. But wait..he disabled flight, didn't disable planes so no ground guns were available.   These things matter. 
If I spend a month planning for something and then changes are made that are uncovered during the event, it makes me just want to not bother planning for a damned thing and showing up on game day to figure out what to do.  Kinda throws out the whole reason for immersion and mission planning, doesn't it?  We plan a mission for a certain result and the result is not there.  Why plan? 
Whining? 
Could have just as easily won and walked away trying to fix nothing.  I do wonder, if we had capped your fields and blocked you as the event design allowed, would you be whining right about now about it?  Or perhaps you would not think it whining but a serious concern that needed to be addressed?
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Phast12

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »
Brooke is now limited in what he can do.  And after reading the Axis boards, even winning the scenario, there was more whining then I've ever seen by the winning team.  Now it's more about score.
I don't remember reading any whining. I remember a team seeing what they considered issues and because of those issues anticipating getting plastered in the points. I think you will find that very clear in the text. Even with that fully in mind they showed up!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:55:20 PM by Phast12 »
Phast
JG4
WW1 - Jasta 11

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
I can understand folks looking at the score after the fact and looking at our boards before the score was posted...it was pretty bleak on the axis side one week before the event started. I had JG77 and JG 2 I had three F8s and no GL I had two 110s and only one game day. I had 5total flyers for my 88s no GL for jg53 or 9 Group and I had half of each registered with no ideas as to who if or when these folks would show up. I had two full groups of 38s driven by excellent pilots a group of spits headed by the wiliest of Aussies and an almost full group of A20s who if given 5mins over targets could kill my entire task group in one run....not to mention your P40s and 39s I felt like a German general in Berlin in 1945 and here come the Russians...my only hope that I could see was to mass my forces leave my bombers and hope to god I could kill enough guys to offset the points I thought y'all would make. And then game day happened and blew me away. Anything else you see is me as a new CO raising issues that need to be resolved for upcoming scenarios. It's hard to relay in text what is was like to see the scores hell I couldn't believe how the day progressed. If anyone and I mean anyone has any questions about how or why I did something please feel free to ask I'll tell you why and how. I'm not just another whiney kid who only cares about winning. One thing I stressed when it was brought up was capping fields I would not do it I wouldn't deny folks who had come to fly the chance to not even get in the air. While I may not see eye to eye with each and everyone of you in this game were all in this fishbowl together because we love to be here so I salute each and everyone of you no matter what I may say or do I love getting to fly with and against all of you. Roen/Vudu15

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE