Author Topic: What should I upgrade next?  (Read 4326 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: What should I upgrade next?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »
And how will I know if my CPU is bottle necking me.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 01:14:41 PM »
Hey Spek,

Doing a quick look at what CPU s are compatible with your motherboard, I would recommend upgrading your CPU to either an AMD phenom II x4 975 or possibly an AMD FX 4350 quad core

The 975 is 3.6 GHz quad core factory clock, the FX 4350 is 4.2 GHz factory clock ( well 2 of the 3 I have are because they are the Black Edition models, the 3rd one is 4.1 GHz )

Upgrade your system memory to 16 GB if that MB will support it....I just did a quick check on what compatible CPU's it would take/handle

The nvidia 1060 is pretty good recommendation as well...

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Thanks tc!  I think I'm gonna go the video card route first. It's easier to install I think. My computer runs every game I play just fine. But I've noticed as new games come out I have to lower my video settings.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »
And how will I know if my CPU is bottle necking me.

Umm... If you notice hiccups during your gameplay, open Task Manager and see the total CPU usage and how much AH uses it. If it's a constant 100% and AH is using most of it on any cores it's present, then you know. There must be more automated recording programs for that, but I've never needed to use any.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
I might be willing to do some trading with you to help you out

Say one of the CPU's I mentioned, along with (4) 4GB sticks of Ram trade for that CPU you have along with that video card you have...

Then all you need is just buy you what ever New VC you desire

Just a thought...trying to help

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
I might be willing to do some trading with you to help you out

Say one of the CPU's I mentioned, along with (4) 4GB sticks of Ram trade for that CPU you have along with that video card you have...

Then all you need is just buy you what ever New VC you desire

Just a thought...trying to help

TC
I may do something like that TC. Let me do some thinking or go ahead and PM me if ya want. I need to make sure all this will be compatible with me.

The Few

-Spek

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »
copy Spek, I'll get in touch with you via personal massages

I will do it here in a little while, got some stuff I need to do before it gets dark outside

btw, regarding Aces High and AMD CPU processors:
I noticed back during the beta of AH3 that Aces High was using all 4 cores on my AMD FX4350 BE CPU, it would be switching up across all 4 cores and every now and then it would even switch to using 2 cores at the same time....this was on the Windows 8.1 Pro OS.....

I haven't bothered to check to see if I could get the same results using Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate

TC

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member

The Few

-Spek

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
When you're in game, monitor your CPU and GPU usage, if one is pegged at 100% under load and one isn't, there's your bottleneck.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 06:19:53 PM »
When you're in game, monitor your CPU and GPU usage, if one is pegged at 100% under load and one isn't, there's your bottleneck.

Sounds good. I'll check for that.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »
That much ram will only help if he is 64 bit.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)