Author Topic: Time for a new stick  (Read 900 times)

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
Time for a new stick
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
My old X55 throttle has numerous issues, buttons mostly.   Add the fact my hat switch on my fighterstick, is wonked and they are both old, I've come to the conclusion that maybe a new setup might be in order.

While I would love to get a Warthog HOTAS, I just really don't play as much as I used to and the $$$ just doesn''t make sense.

So I have been looking at the T16000 Thrustmaster HOTAS.   Seems to be reasonable priced for a hall effect rig. 

Seems very few have anything really bad to say about the stick itself, but I have not seen much in the way of comments, good or bad about the throttle.

Anyone here have one?  I'd like your opinions if you have any.

Thanks
 JDOG
G3-MF

:salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Time for a new stick
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
JDOG, I have an extra older model ch fighter stick and a x52 throttle that you are welcomed to if you are interested...

They both work fine, last time I checked them out

Pm me if you are interested

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »
My old X55 throttle has numerous issues, buttons mostly.   Add the fact my hat switch on my fighterstick, is wonked and they are both old, I've come to the conclusion that maybe a new setup might be in order.

While I would love to get a Warthog HOTAS, I just really don't play as much as I used to and the $$$ just doesn''t make sense.

So I have been looking at the T16000 Thrustmaster HOTAS.   Seems to be reasonable priced for a hall effect rig. 

Seems very few have anything really bad to say about the stick itself, but I have not seen much in the way of comments, good or bad about the throttle.

Anyone here have one?  I'd like your opinions if you have any.

Thanks
 JDOG
G3-MF

:salute

Not sure if you know MARK4 (he is my brother in law) in the game but he has used one of those for years. Very smooth, very precise. I have tried it a few time (even tho he has it set up for a lefty) and it is a very nice stick, even after all this time he has had it.

Definitely worth the money.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Fugi, are you talking about the T.Flight Hotas X, previously known as TopGun Afterburner2?

The one JDOG is asking about has been available for a few months only.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »
Fugi, are you talking about the T.Flight Hotas X, previously known as TopGun Afterburner2?

I actually have one of those TopGun Afterburner 2's lying about also, still works great

Have 2 practically brand new still in the boxes Logitech 3D extreme Pro's as well and several other sticks, throttles, pedals.... think I need to go through it all and tally up all the controllers and stuff I have actually acquired...

All of it is available if someone needs something

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 01:38:33 PM »
TC
I really appreciate the offer sir, but I can afford to go buy a new one.   At some point someone who may not have the ability to do that might be in need of a stick or throttle.   Save what you have for those folks, it's those types of thing that make our little community great!    :aok

Fugi,
I did a search yesterday and found some earlier posts of your about your brother in law having that stick.  It was one of the reasons I did more research on it.  I literally read dozens of reviews from numerous sources and they all pretty much have very little bad to say about the stick.

Bizman,

The HOTAS is a new set up.  The actual stick has been around for a number of years now.   It's been a bit remodeled as far as exterior but inside remains the same.    The throttle is new as of recently, and I believe the pedals they have are as well.

I also have a chance to grab an X55 at an amazing price.   I'll have to study more reviews to get a feel for what folks think of it as well.   

Thanks for the feedback thus far, appreciate all comments good or bad

JD

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
JDOG, I currently use the combination of both the T.16000 and the Afterburner2. If the T.16000 Hotas version had been available when I got the stick only, I would have bought it. That's why I questioned Fugi's comment. Re-reading it reveals that he was talking about the stick only but your in your post you're clearly asking about the new throttle, inspired by the good reviews of the stick.

The new throttle might get on my wishlist, too, so if someone has one some comments would be nice.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
Sorry I didn't realize they had come out with a new HOTAS system.

Yes I meant the older "M". The new system looks like all they really change was colors  :devil

I bought the X55 and am starting to have troubles with a couple of buttons. I may be switching to the Thrusmaster myself soon.

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
I recently picked up the hotas and like them so well I'm going to try the rudder pedals that go with them, since my CH pedals went belly up during FSO Friday. No complaints about the CH since I've had them for many years, but the TM are lots cheaper and I hope they'll suffice. Only problem with the throttle is getting used to the positions of the switches and one paddle rocker that gets in the way. I may just remove it.
Flying as Noser

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
I recently picked up the hotas and like them so well I'm going to try the rudder pedals that go with them, since my CH pedals went belly up during FSO Friday. No complaints about the CH since I've had them for many years, but the TM are lots cheaper and I hope they'll suffice. Only problem with the throttle is getting used to the positions of the switches and one paddle rocker that gets in the way. I may just remove it.

My big fear at the moment is losing my hat switches that I have on the Fighterstick.  With only 3 buttons on the 16000, that is my hold back at the moment from pulling the trigger and just buying the Thrustmaster.  The paddle on the throttle does seem a bit akward to me, but I was thinking maybe it could be programmed to zoom in and out.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
VKB Gladiator is worth a look..
Very happy with mine,( I use my old x52 throttle with it)Pro even better
if you go the whole hog ..the pedals are meant to be the best..
worth considering.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 02:44:44 AM »

My big fear at the moment is losing my hat switches that I have on the Fighterstick.  With only 3 buttons on the 16000, that is my hold back at the moment from pulling the trigger and just buying the Thrustmaster.  The paddle on the throttle does seem a bit akward to me, but I was thinking maybe it could be programmed to zoom in and out.

I've encountered the same fear when I transitioned from Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D to the Extreme 3D Pro to the Thrustmaster TopGun Afterburner to the T.16000M. They all are shaped quite similarly but the 3D Pro had the most buttons on the stick. However, having the "missing" buttons on the throttle actually help keeping the stick stirring more consistent in a furball.

Kotisivuni