Author Topic: P51 request  (Read 4039 times)

Offline pxdig

• Copper Member
P51 request
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »
i was really gonna try teach myself to do a skin, but its way outside my skills and abilities.

I love this paint job from the 355 Fighter Group / 354 Fighter Squadron and if anyone has the time I would surely appreciate it and i promise its the only one I would fly.   Thanks to anyone that undertakes this, i wish I could....

BTW, i looked on youtube to see if anyone had made a tutorial, no luck.  Has anyone actually ever done a tutorial ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:06:54 PM by pxdig »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: P51 request
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:51 PM »
I was actually working on a WR Pony like one of these, but all the D slots are full, so.........
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »
Hi pxdig,

That's one of my favorite P-51D schemes; in fact I did skin it and it's pretty close to being completed.  There's no submission process established for AH3 skins yet, and as Vraciu says, the P-51D slots are all full anyway.  <S>

Here's some actual WWII color footage of the 355th with some very nice closeups of Col Graham.  Worth a look if you've never seen it.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:02:32 PM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »
Hi pxdig,

That's one of my favorite P-51D schemes; in fact I did skin it and it's pretty close to being completed.  I never submitted it though because as Vraciu says, the P-51D slots are all full.

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's some actual WWII color footage of the 355th with some very nice closeups of Col Graham.  Worth a look if you've never seen it.

I forgot about this one of yours. Freaking SMOOTH man.    :aok. Damn I wish I could get that metal effect down.  Awesome.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »
Actually, there is one slot open for the P51D.  It happened when we migrated over to AH3 and made one of the AH2 skins the new default.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
Ooh.  Submit this one Oboe!!!
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:53:44 PM »
Skuzzy, you guys made a great choice for the default P-51D.  Cactus' work on that skin is superb. 

This is good news.  I'd be happy to finish up "Down for Double" and submit it, when we are able to submit skins.   Is there any chance of retiring some of the older P-51 skins to make additional room?  I was working up a few different bare metal schemes for the '51D, trying to learn how to get the feel of bare aluminum without adding much environmental reflectivity, which to my eye makes the airplane look a little too much like modern day airshow-quality polished aluminum.

Here's another unfinished one, from the 55th FG:

I felt like I was catching on, and I've learned a few more things since then.   

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
How do you get those rivets and panels on the fuselage below the cockpit to look like that?   They literally look wavy.   Grrrrrr.

*JEALOUS*
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:34:36 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 06:22:46 AM »
How do you get those rivets and panels on the fuselage below the cockpit to look like that?   They literally look wavy.   Grrrrrr.

*JEALOUS*

I hope he used the normal map to accomplish that look.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 07:19:46 AM »
I hope he used the normal map to accomplish that look.

It's beautiful. 

I still can't find a way to properly convert from my working file to Normal format.   Frustrating as heck. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure its just the default P-51D Normal map.   I was experimenting with the interplay between the Specular and Environmental map settings and the base colors chosen for the natural metal look, so wasn't concerned with Normal map effects yet. 

I think what you're talking about here is the shadow and glare layers along the screw lines that fasten the wing fillet to the fuselage.  Basically, for each screw head, create dark spots for shadow up-sun (1 px up, 1 px to toward the front from the screw head) and a light splotch for glare down sun (1px back, 1 px down).  Then you adjust the opacity of these layers til you get a believable look that makes the metal look depressed where the screw fastens the sheet metal to the frame underneath.  The rivets on the fuselage underneath the canopy also have a faint dark shadow in front of the rivets, and a slight glare line behind (for the vertical rivets).

There is still a lot I have to learn about the Normal maps - I think we are supposed to be able to reproduce this effect using the Normal map instead of shadow & glare layers in the diffuse map (the base skin file).  The game's graphic engine should handle creating the proper shadow and glare effect on its own, and adjust it per your viewing angle and the angle of the light source.  So far though I've only been focused on trying to get the bare metal look right.

btw, for pxdig, there have been some helpful tutorials written.  A couple of old ones are saved here:

http://tjlaven.brinkster.net/ah/

These are both old and in need of updates, but still contain helpful info.  Greebo also wrote one which I think is stickied at the top of this forum.

<S>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:50:04 AM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
Good info.   :aok

What I am fascinated by are the flush rivets and the panels between the wing fairing and the cockpit. 

I have had ZERO success in duplicating any of these effects.   I only just figured out how to make the tail fairings and engine panel joints pop. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 10:35:29 AM »
I really would like to see these effects being done with the normal maps.  That is the proper method of doing it.  We really need to get skins away from using canned lighting effects.

That said, if you do not alter the panel lines and rivets, then the default normal map should work for most all planes.  Use it and then make any other changes to the skin to reflect the look.

If you use the default normal map and do not change it, then you do not need to submit it with the skin, as the default normal map will be applied to any skin which does not supply a normal map.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
I really would like to see these effects being done with the normal maps.  That is the proper method of doing it.  We really need to get skins away from using canned lighting effects.

That said, if you do not alter the panel lines and rivets, then the default normal map should work for most all planes.  Use it and then make any other changes to the skin to reflect the look.

If you use the default normal map and do not change it, then you do not need to submit it with the skin, as the default normal map will be applied to any skin which does not supply a normal map.

Is there a screenshot available of the default normal map?   I would like to know how it should look as I struggle with mastering this process.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »
Is there a screenshot available of the default normal map?   I would like to know how it should look as I struggle with mastering this process.

You can look at it directly.  Its a file called P51D_N.bmp located in the p51d folder of the skins directory.   Greebo's tutorial in a thread stickied above has information on how to create it.

<S>
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:26:49 PM by oboe »