Author Topic: Polar vortex,ice storm,....doom  (Read 2977 times)

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
Re: Polar vortex,ice storm,....doom
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
Not to far away tho
(Image removed from quote.)

Oh yes, cross over the WA Cascades to the east side, they have plenty of rattlesnakes in the high desert.

Had Rain/Snow mix yesterday, and supposed to have 50mph wind gusts today.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 08:30:29 AM »
Im not sure which winter is worse.  In Michigan, it is cold.  Most winter come in and park overhead.  the begining and ending date varies slightly but generally winter moves in and hangs around a while.  Deep snow and frozen ponds.  Good for snowmobiles and pond hockey.  And the cold is not bad, our balls form a kind of leather and womens breasts grow fur, we adapt as northern types to 6 months of tundra.

In the northwest every day is roll of the dice.  Most of the days are crap but spring tend to show up twice a month.  It rains most of the time and can change to ice any night anywhere.  Salt is not used as religiously and black ice with curves trees and mountains do not mix.  Also the lack of salt or seemingly any real good effort to combat frozen precipitation results in a lot of ice build up when the freezing level drops below altitude.  Using a volcanic cinder in place of or mixed with salt is some tough guys joke in the roads department.  At times the Ice and cinder pileup like a seven layer cake, good thing studs are legal! and mandatory!  Thankfully a melt is not far away, unfortunately, the ice layer cake made during the storm take time to melt like pykrete, and giant ice pot holes form as the modified ice slowly melts.  In summary,  The PNW has persistent storm cycles with varying and dangerous conditions, without stability it is not one way or the other, its just 3-4 months of dark wet sheet.

A "real" winter is preferably, temperatures around 273 K is the worst. Snow and freezing temperatures is no big deal.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
Winter in N central Texas sucks. 60-70 degrees and sunny today. 16 degrees and snow yesterday.  Hell on allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
I've frozen my bellybutton off on both sides of the cascades. Actually east of the cascades in the yakima desert was more comfortable because it stayed frozen. West of the cascades, on the coast it would thaw during the day and freeze at night. So your hole would turn to mud, and the snow would turn to slush during the day and then freeze at night. Your clothes would get soaked during the day and freeze at night. My first introduction and handshake with hypothermia was west of the cascades observing arty at a Ft. Lewis impact area. I'll never forget the weird ominous echoing sound of artillery caused by a cold overcast air inversion. Hate it hate it hate.

I much prefered spending january and febuary in yakima instead of the coast.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
And thats a long lifetime.

You cad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :old:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »
A "real" winter is preferably, temperatures around 273 K is the worst. Snow and freezing temperatures is no big deal.

273Kelvin = right at 32 degrees Fahrenheit

Did that for myself  :neener:

Anyway...polar vortex be damned it was 3 degrees Fahrenheit here Sunday morning... Some are saying they saw 0...it was 3 on my porch thermometer... I've never seen it that cold in all my years... It was 5 Monday morning... I couldn't take a deep breath it hurt so bad... The cold stabbing my lungs...thankfully no water leaks and today was in the 40s calling for possible severe weather Christmas Day...NWS is saying monitor the forecast... Last time I saw a Christmas with temps in the 60s we had an ice storm about 2 days later and was out of electricity for 13 days....

I love Oklahoma weather  :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »
I've frozen my bellybutton off on both sides of the cascades. Actually east of the cascades in the yakima desert was more comfortable because it stayed frozen. West of the cascades, on the coast it would thaw during the day and freeze at night. So your hole would turn to mud, and the snow would turn to slush during the day and then freeze at night. Your clothes would get soaked during the day and freeze at night. My first introduction and handshake with hypothermia was west of the cascades observing arty at a Ft. Lewis impact area. I'll never forget the weird ominous echoing sound of artillery caused by a cold overcast air inversion. Hate it hate it hate.

I much prefered spending january and febuary in yakima instead of the coast.

Yeah, that freezing inversion layer situation happens occasionally, but not very often. Fog so thick we end up going 25mph on the highway, and it freezes to everything on contact. The sun never penetrates the fog, so nothing melts during the day. Last time, it lasted a couple weeks straight. We also get the odd 1ft of snow now and then, and the occasional ice storm, or the hurricane force autumn wind storms. But most years winters are very mild, last 2 years we didn't even have any snow at home. Just scrape the frost from the car windows and go!

Man, way better than New England, where you need a heavy steel ice chopper, along with your snow shovel, just to get out of your driveway! And the snow plow leaves a 5ft high wall of snow in your way. EVERY time! :mad:

Today, shortest day of the year, was a normal morning, 27deg light frost, crystal blue sky, and a red dawn. Frost will thaw by 2pm and pretend to be spring until the sun goes down.
Until the clouds come back, and it will be 35deg and raining, the usual condition in western WA.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »
Inversions are not uncommon in cold weather, there can be a 10-15 degree (Kelvin) difference between the top and the bottom of a <200m hill. Living in a valley sux on the winter...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
Snow in the Sahara...... dang global warming... LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
And as the informed and smart people we are we dont drag this into a debate about global warming since a few days of extreme weather at a local scale doesn't prove or disprove anything...

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »
And as the informed and smart people we are we dont drag this into a debate about global warming since a few days of extreme weather at a local scale doesn't prove or disprove anything...

The Russians did it, :rofl

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »

Exactly as science tells us that the earth has done this all by itself for longer than we have been here.

Fun to see things like this happen though. We get a rare snow here every 10 years or so. The green grass pokes up through it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
We (in Dallas/Fort Worth) are long over due for a harsh winter.  Really could use some extended cold weather to get the insect population under control again.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
We (in Dallas/Fort Worth) are long over due for a harsh winter.  Really could use some extended cold weather to get the insect population under control again.

Down here, east of Houston, we had a 30 degree night a couple of nights back. That is enough cold weather for me. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 03:48:32 PM »
Exactly as science tells us that the earth has done this all by itself for longer than we have been here.

Yes and no..