Author Topic: Radiator, cowl, oil and mixture controls. What does Aces High III do and not do  (Read 826 times)

Offline Rolland

• Zinc Member
Radiator, cowl, oil and mixture controls.  What does Aces High III do and not do?
I get the impression there are no actual controls for these and that engine heat is not modeled.
Am I correct?
  Not meant to disparage the game, just wanting to know.
Race you to the Mucky Duck!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
You got it.  HTC doesn't think the general playing public can handle it. So it's not present in any of the aircraft modleing.
it's been wished for, requested, many times, but HTC response is always no and will always be no.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Radiator, cowl, oil and mixture controls.  What does Aces High III do and not do?
I get the impression there are no actual controls for these and that engine heat is not modeled.
Am I correct?

Ignore Traveler, hes just a grumpy old man.

As for your question, Heat is model only when it come to WEP (war emergency power). It is timed by plane and when you hit the "red" on your temp gauge you are out of WEP until the engine has cooled down enough (twice the time it takes to use WEP up).

As for all that "fiddly" stuff like cowls, oil, mixture and such, Hitech wanted a game that was fun, not work. Adding in button pushes for the sake of pushing another button isn't what he wants. Aces High is first and foremost, a game, NOT a flight simulator. 

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Ignore Traveler, hes just a grumpy old man.

As for your question, Heat is model only when it come to WEP (war emergency power). It is timed by plane and when you hit the "red" on your temp gauge you are out of WEP until the engine has cooled down enough (twice the time it takes to use WEP up).

As for all that "fiddly" stuff like cowls, oil, mixture and such, Hitech wanted a game that was fun, not work. Adding in button pushes for the sake of pushing another button isn't what he wants. Aces High is first and foremost, a game, NOT a flight simulator.

Rolland, what Fugitive said and also you will notice that you can run the engine flat out at full rpm and the engine will not over heat, as it did in real life, that's not modeled in either.  There is a lot of stuff, not modeled into the game. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Rolland

• Zinc Member
I can live with that.  There are just some things you have to choose.  It is good to know just what the situation is.
Race you to the Mucky Duck!

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Am I correct?

Hi Rolland,

There is 1 setting that you can use to control engine operation outside of throttle and it is called prop RPM (essentially the engine governor). With this setting you can set the engine\prop RPM's.

This is useful for cruise at alt to increase fuel range (time of flight) and\or dive speed control and\or landings.

I use it myself thru my HOTAS.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Hi Rolland,

There is 1 setting that you can use to control engine operation outside of throttle and it is called prop RPM (essentially the engine governor). With this setting you can set the engine\prop RPM's.

This is useful for cruise at alt to increase fuel range (time of flight) and\or dive speed control and\or landings.

:salute :saluteOk,Pudgie quick queastion. Setting rps i know how to do, its just when to keep rps high or low in a dive? I tried offline like a previous post mentioned but cant quite figure it out. So with throttle back and low rpm the climb rate was alot lower loss of altitude as compared to idle back and full rpms. So a shallow decent rate makes it better? Well picks up less speed any way? This observation was with auto speed on.
Modify message

Hi Rolland,

:saluteOk,Pudgie quick queastion. Setting rps i know how to do, its just when to keep rps high or low in a dive? I tried offline like a previous post mentioned but cant quite figure it out. So with throttle back and low rpm the climb rate was alot lower loss of altitude as compared to idle back and full rpms. So a shallow decent rate makes it better? Well picks up less speed any way? This observation was with auto speed on.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:01:26 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Not sure how that posted like a quote but here is what i am talking about. :saluteOk,Pudgie quick queastion. Setting rps i know how to do, its just when to keep rps high or low in a dive? I tried offline like a previous post mentioned but cant quite figure it out. So with throttle back and low rpm the climb rate was alot lower loss of altitude as compared to idle back and full rpms. So a shallow decent rate makes it better? Well picks up less speed any way? This observation was with auto speed on.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Not sure how that posted like a quote but here is what i am talking about. :saluteOk,Pudgie quick queastion. Setting rps i know how to do, its just when to keep rps high or low in a dive? I tried offline like a previous post mentioned but cant quite figure it out. So with throttle back and low rpm the climb rate was alot lower loss of altitude as compared to idle back and full rpms. So a shallow decent rate makes it better? Well picks up less speed any way? This observation was with auto speed on.

Hi 1stpar3,

As I understand it, that is the purpose of auto speed (the AHIII client is doing all the engine management to maintain the dive speed in IAS at the speed the plane is moving when it is turned on) and shouldn't need any outside input from the user.

For user control of dive speed w\o auto speed on is when using the throttle and prop RPM (or plane specific dive brakes if available) will come into play. This is the scenario in which I apply the prop RPM control along w\ the throttle.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member

At idle there is a lot less drag if RPM is also reduced to a minimum, otherwise the air is spinning the prop and engine and that creates a lot of drag. So if you want the best gliding distance you should reduce rpm.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
AH! Ok thats sort of how I figured it worked. For some reason I was just having trouble wrapping my head around it.