Author Topic: Fan speeds  (Read 463 times)

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
Fan speeds
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
I recently had to take the battery out of my computer to reset the bios because it would not boot....Now I notice that my fans are running much faster all the time...I have been shutting down when not in use...Does it hurt the fans to run all the time ? How can I set my fans to work like the did ? Fan Speed or bios ?  The builder of this rig had them set some way.....idk what to do now..
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fan speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »
So many questions... Yes, every rotating thing has a life span. The faster it rotates, the sooner the total is reached. Don't fear, though, the rotations are counted in many tens of thousands of hours, meaning several years of use. However, that can be reduced by dirt, gunk, heat... Should you ever have to clean a smoker's computer, you'd move your ashtray outside!

Since you haven't had any third party software for controlling the fans before changing the battery, it has been done in the BIOS. Taking the old battery out has reset the settings to safe defaults. You might want to try the "optimized default settings" or something like that, it's usually on the last tab with the save and quit options. If that doesn't do the trick, dig deeper. Look for "smart fan control" and such, enable them, set the thresholds a little higher if you dare or lower the percentages at certain temperature levels. Bear in mind, though, that you'd rather let the fans blow a little louder than let your computer fry to death! If the fan noise annoys you, get more and bigger fans. Seriously, that's the recipe for a cool and silent computer: More and bigger.

[edit] I would have loved to provide a 101 on the subject, but each motherboard has different settings. Scroll through all of the (advanced) settings and check each one even vaguely related to fan speed. If the description is inadequate, Google is your friend. You know it's doable since you've noticed a difference.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:03:49 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
Right on ..I have never messed with the bios before...thanks for the time and advice

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »
You're welcome. If you have further questions about setting your BIOS, feel free to ask.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
Dogtown,

You may want to install something like OpenHardwareMonitor and look at the speeds too.  You'll get real time displays.

It's found here:  http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

You can see the min and max speeds of your fans, as well as a plethora of other valuable info about the components such as temperature, voltage, CPU speed, and so on.

It's non-intrusive to run.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »
ty for the link ...was looking for one that was trusted...  Hey ...once I get into bios ...how do u get out ? lol ...before I venture in there.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
There will be keyboard shortcuts to exit the BIOS.  They can vary slightly, depending on the MB manufacturer, but it's really straightforward, as they're usually on the bottom of the screen. 

Some examples could be ESC, F10, and so on. 

Also, search for some images in Google for your MB BIOS, just to see what it looks like.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 02:39:07 AM »
As katanaso said.

Basically, in an "old fashioned" BIOS you can back up from any settings screen using Esc until you get to the exit options. F10 usually is for "save and exit/reboot" and it can be used in any screen. Again, as has been said, the options can be in the bottom of each screen, or on the right side pane. Other instructions for changing settings are also visible on each page. They vary more, F5/F6 or +/- for changing values. Or clicking Enter for a list of available values. Navigate with the arrow keys.

In a modern UEFI settings window it's more like Windows, you can even use the mouse. The first screen is for basic settings and the exit is clearly instructed. The fan settings are in the Advanced settings.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »
Thanks guys !!!  :rock