Author Topic: Last graphics card for winXP?  (Read 426 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Last graphics card for winXP?
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone know what was the last NVidia gpu to be supported under winXP was?  I have an old windows home server computer with a low profile ASUS 9400GT in it, and the card may be failing.  I'm wondering what would be the latest vid card I could put in there that would have drivers.  I don't need a ton of speed and might actually downgrade to a slow passively cooled card especially if its cheap, but I don't know how wide my choices are.  All the cards I can find online proudly list win7 and win10 drivers, and NVidia's site is not very helpful.

Thanks!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Last graphics card for winXP?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
A couple of questions:

Why limit to Nvidia? For a server even a motherboard integrated chip should do.

And since it's a server, would you need a video card at all? I mean, can't you manage it using another computer through the network?

http://www.geforce.com/drivers found 32 bit XP drivers for GTX960, so you should be able to find what you need.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
Thx.

Integrated chip isn't enough to run my monitor.  It's an old mobo with an nivida 6150 gfx chip, AMD cpu.

Nvidia because I've had instability with the last 3 AMD video cards I've had, and zero problems with any of my NVidia cards.  I would use the integrated chipset driver except that I occasionally use a real monitor for administration, and it can't drive my widescreen flat panel. 

Thx for the info on the drivers.  I searched NVidia's website and the file they had labelled "final winxp drivers" only went up to 8xxx series I think, so I just couldn't tell what was an option.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »
Hehe, too good a monitor for administrating...  :t

Anyhow, all I did was a manual driver search on that page, setting Win XP as the OS and started to search starting from the latest models. 960 was the first one offering a result.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:29 AM »
A fanless GT 730 looks like a reasonably cheap option...  The GT 210s are $39 but there is one fanless GT 730 for $55.99 on amazon.