Author Topic: Load AH on SSD drive?  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
Re: Load AH on SSD drive?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:41 PM »
Since you guys hijacked my subject.  How much power, support and money that cost?  Per opinon?
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
I think you obtained great information for your expense.

Seagate is supposed to have a 60TB SSD out this March, if you can pay the $40,000.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
If you are getting stutters, due to the game disk reads, then the computer has other problems as Aces High always preloads what it needs long before it needs it.

We all use hard drives here and have NEVER had a disk based stutter.  I have never seen it at home either.

The game has been designed to make sure disc reads would not be an issue.  This is not new either.  It has been at the core of Aces High for over 12 years.

I was thinking about moving AH to the SSD because I have noticed game pauses associated with HD access, but apparently that wouldn't be worthwhile.  So, I'm guessing that some background process is grabbing the CPU and accessing the HD, resulting in a pause in AH.  Is there a way to find out which process?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 09:47:12 AM »
The most prominent processes, which will hurt disk accesses are anti-xxxx programs.  Even when allowed, they still interfere with any application which is accessing the disk.

You can run the resource monitor (bring up task manager, under "Performance" tab and hit the "Resource Monitor" button) in Windows and check it when you note disk access to see what program is running at that moment.  It will show in the "Disk" tab.

If you are running a dynamic swap area for Windows, that will take more resources, than a fixed sized one.  If you have multiple disks, you can put a swap partition on each, which helps also.

Fixed size swap areas are guaranteed to be contiguous (much faster for reading and writing) whereas dynamic ones are spread all over the file system in any hole the operating system can find.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:48:49 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com