Author Topic: A thought on "balance" for FSO Götterdämmerung - The Fall of Berlin  (Read 4394 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
The scenario for FSO Götterdämmerung - The Fall of Berlin is the very late war in Europe. The Axis had jets, etc. The Allies had overwhelming numbers.

In Frame 2, the Axis had more pilots. How to represent the Allied numbers?

How about letting Allies have multiple lives?  :bolt:

This is not for all scenarios. Just for times that, historically, one side had a severe disadvantage in numbers.

This setup has all of the high end German planes. At one to one odds, with the large pool of those who favor German planes, the Allies need a balancing imbalance.

The scoring system might still work as there would be more opportunities for kills by the Axis, along with more tension in the outcome.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: A thought on "balance" for FSO Götterdämmerung - The Fall of Berlin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »

the large pool of those who favor German planes, the Allies need a balancing imbalance.

Hmmmmm.  Interesting.  Is that actually true?  Do more people really favor Luftwaffe Iron in our game?  If it is true, why do you think that is so?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
That's Eastern Front for you. Same deal with Late War Pacific setups.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
For a late war FSO, especially in this even timeline, Luft should be 40% strength....and that's still high comparing it to the real war event where Luft was nearly at 10-15% strength.  This scenario it's been 50/50.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 11:04:48 AM »
For a late war FSO, especially in this even timeline, Luft should be 40% strength....and that's still high comparing it to the real war event where Luft was nearly at 10-15% strength.  This scenario it's been 50/50.

Over the years I have focused on making most of my setups 50/50 splits and using the plane set and rules/settings as the equalizers. Recreating 10-15% strength and hordes of Allied aircraft just doesn't make for an enjoyable setup no matter how many jets you got.

I don't think more people favor Luftwaffe Iron in FSO, I think that people favor whatever plane set they believe to have an advantage or they believe will be more enjoyable for them on Fridays.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
I don't know of a PTO setup that shows the Axis pilots having some great advantage... its an ebb and flow... but we too understand your thinking...

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
Over the years I have focused on making most of my setups 50/50 splits and using the plane set and rules/settings as the equalizers. Recreating 10-15% strength and hordes of Allied aircraft just doesn't make for an enjoyable setup no matter how many jets you got.

I don't think more people favor Luftwaffe Iron in FSO, I think that people favor whatever plane set they believe to have an advantage or they believe will be more enjoyable for them on Fridays.

I was not pushing for a 10-15% strength in FSO.  I said that because historically that was what was on the Luft, it may be higher but will have to look deeper into it. But to be fair it should be 40/60.

I also question the rides on the Luft.  Why no G-14, G-6, Ju?  This too I am looking at on how much did the Dora, Th, 234 and K-4 fought the Russians in the battle of Berlin? 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
I was not pushing for a 10-15% strength in FSO.  I said that because historically that was what was on the Luft, it may be higher but will have to look deeper into it. But to be fair it should be 40/60.

I also question the rides on the Luft.  Why no G-14, G-6, Ju?  This too I am looking at on how much did the Dora, Th, 234 and K-4 fought the Russians in the battle of Berlin?

To be fair, or to be more historic. 

To have more fun, or to allow the Allieds an advantage?

Do not lose focus.  It is about gameplay, in a historical setting.  Not a recreation of history.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
Any given Friday one side or the other can get whooped.  It is a result of side turnout, CIC planning & command, execution, and a little bit luck.  Who knows what next Friday holds?  I do know I will be there to find out! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
To be fair, or to be more historic. 

To have more fun, or to allow the Allieds an advantage?

Do not lose focus.  It is about gameplay, in a historical setting.  Not a recreation of history.

Nobody said anything about allies having the advantage.  And there have been setups 40/60 or historical to the best of what FSO CM can do.  This scenario should be 40/60.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »
The Allies are getting out planned and executed.

The distances are short and its easy for the Axis to sit back and defend while the Allies rush in to attack at frame start and then come late on the offensive. That way the Axis has numbers at the point of contact in all engagements.

If the Allies were patient enough to hold the attacks until T+55 the Axis would be denied this exploit and would be forced to defend while their attacks happen.

Its not rocket science what is happening.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »
Nobody said anything about allies having the advantage.  And there have been setups 40/60 or historical to the best of what FSO CM can do.  This scenario should be 40/60.

40% Axis, 60% Allied, IS an advantage for the allieds.

Why do you think "This scenario should be 40/60" ?
Wag more, bark less.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
Maybe the Allied commanders should have capitalized their advantages better. You guys have the La7 - and lots of them. It is easily the best prop plane in this setup. The average pilot has no better means to find success that with that plane. The Yak3 is a nearly perfect plane to fly - only it's gun package limits ability to kill compared to the La7. Our best fighter is the K-4, which required a finer touch of the controls and much better aim to find success. The Dora can't compete against the La or Yak in any way except for top speed at altitude. The Ta 152 is a total dog below 15K and we have only 4 jets. Both require great skill to fly competently in. The only clear advantage the Axis has is the Ar 234. It is a great way to rack up points with it's ability to mount multiple strikes. Also, the Axis must field 20 190A-8's - easy meat for any soviet fighter.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »
Luft should be 40% strength....
I was not pushing for a 10-15% strength in FSO.
???
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
Because there are other scenarios that was 40/60. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group