Author Topic: Aircraft against the terrain  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Aircraft against the terrain
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
   I have also noticed difficulty in visuals from a tinted windscreen. Get rid of tinting windscreens.

End of discussion.  :D
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »
I find it very difficult to see/distinguish an aircraft when it is against the terrain.

They just disappear and I find myself shooting at the icon...

This gets exasperated by twilight...

Here are screen shots from me right behind a big ol' jug....

105 FOV
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kwhapBgCtYbVY5QWl1VEptR2c/view?usp=sharing
Zoomed
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kwhapBgCtYWG9XNFZ4WkFPeVk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kwhapBgCtYQ20tZmFMVTRJNmc/view?usp=sharing

Twilight is in effect.  My shadows are off, gamma is 1.6 in the pictures.  Not sure how to make the aircraft "more distinct"....but this adds to frustration with "twilight" feature..

Just to be clear.  + 1  To the original post requesting to make aircraft more distinct against the terrain.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
You can see them very well through the alpha mask being used as the Lucite wind screens.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
I personally think that plane identifying icons should be removed from the game.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
There is room for improvement.  ++1

Not everyone has the same equipment, same settings, or same eyesight. :cool:  Whatever your personal experience with the game is, does not change other's.  Definitely, certain gunsight masks are the problem.  But there are also many other concerns ranging from icons drawing eyes away from target, to red / green color blindness, to monitor size and FOV settings.

Personally, I would argue that easier identification of close targets would reduce the need for wider FOV settings and would double down and improve immersion.

I have read two separate wishes that combined with my personal wish to initiate through the existing target lock, would not interfere with anyone who isn't using the target lock (only the player needing the additional assistance) view.

One wish was to make a highlight of the aircraft at close range.  Another, was more of a real world observation that 2D representation lacks the corresponding shadowing to accurately reflect the 3D shape.  Combine the 2 observations and instead of highlight, switch to a more powerful detail of the selected aircraft (somewhat like other player's skins have the ability to be seen or not). 

* Hopefully this could be accomplished by +/- power of one or the other of the plane skin's layers.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 05:26:53 AM »
I personally think that plane identifying icons should be removed from the game.
How will you know friend from foe?

Turn them off and try it for your self. Let me know how that works out.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 05:56:47 AM »
My personal preference is no icons IF the game is doing everything it can to replicate real life conditions. DCS with no icons is an example of this. AH isn't quite there (nor will it be given its target audience.)
<snip>
WWIIOL had an interesting icon system that is less obtrusive than the text block with a full circle that reduces counterclockwise to nothing when you get close.
<snip>

Cliffs of Dover do the same in many servers, no icons
Best system with icons in my opinion if you need any is WW2online, not intrusive.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 06:21:23 AM »
Best system with icons in my opinion if you need any is WW2online, not intrusive.

Agreed. It was one of the only things i liked about ww2ol.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »
Thrila, the tankpart  is more of a simulator than a game in ww2online compared, here it's quake compared (i'm talking about shooting from a 360 vision field, instead of 5-10 degree FOV. instant repair of major components on a 60-kiloton tank, and rearm - within a second - a load of  heavy projectiles.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera