Author Topic: Hitech: Maximum number of cloud objects?  (Read 465 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Hitech: Maximum number of cloud objects?
« on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
Hitech,

Is there a maximum number of clouds I can exceed?

Below is the could editor with fronts 2\3 finished and two screen shots of what I'm using most of the fronts for.

1. - 2000ft AGL over water ways with the default cloud setting to give the task groups help in breaking out and sneaking around. Won't hurt cross water NOE's.
2. - Higher over land with cumulus #8 to cover strategic targets like strat and ports so pinpoint bombing is not always guaranteed. 

The rational for the fronts is this is a bowl 18 sectors across 26,000ft deep with water in it and the sun heating it up. The timing on the fronts has clear gaps of a few miles between fronts with randomization and the random openings all the time between clouds.

Cloud editor fronts during animation run.

You cannot see the task group easily at an angle from it, auto ack will let you know it's near. But casually fly by outside of auto ack range there is a good chance of not noticing the task group sneaking out of the slot. I'm thinking of leaving the slots between countries free of the 200ft AGL cover for task groups.

Solid cloud layer with 5500 base over the AA strat, when you are in the scope there is no way to know if an opening to bomb through will randomly be there. There will be a few miles gap on the trailing end of this front before the new one starts up at 1\2 the total life time for the front being followed in this screen capture.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hitech: Maximum number of cloud objects?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »
I was still testing the awa file from the CE screen shot I posted this last week.

I started getting DX9\DX11 exe errors and dump files generated. The action causing the game to perform a C0000005 memory event each time was my sitting in a panther in an open field under the cloud fronts. I would cycle through the view keys rapidly to look around then stopping on the key that pointed to a cloud front moving by. I even had an event where windows minimized the game to popup a gui asking if I wanted to enable toggle keys while I held a view key down for a long time watching a cloud front.

So far the solution for this was to change the stratus layer from heavy .500 to light .500. I've not been able to recreate the errors by duplicating all of the actions along with the amount of time the executable's were running. I have so many fronts running on my terrain I'm going to remove the stratus layer all together.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
While in DX9 at one of the super large airfields sitting in the tower with drones flying and all the tracers, and massive cloud fronts rolling over, I would have view directions that would drop to 47fps. And if I took off in a fighter, looking back at the field until about 13,000yds away, that direction view would be at 47fps. DX11 changed this direction to 57fps.

Just now DX9, after eliminating the stratus layer and sitting in the super large airfield tower with drones and tracers all around. That view direction drops to 58fps. I had reduced the stratus layer to light .500 which stopped the exe error events when using view keys. But, that did not eliminate the drop to 47fps.

So to stop the exe errors I had to reduce the stratus layer to light .500. To get back FPS while in the super large airfield tower watching tracers, I had to eliminate the stratus layer all together.

Dang and here I thought the alpha\beta testing was over. I know, we are in a zeta test.... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:36:32 PM »
im pretty sure cloud testing is a whole different animal, that most people don't look at.

I bet theres only a couple of dozen people in the whole game that do anything with clouds, myself included.