Author Topic: Bouncy using ctrl+W wingman  (Read 542 times)

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Bouncy using ctrl+W wingman
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:56:36 AM »
Tips for not being bouncy when using ctrl+W wingman?

My virtual joystick gets bouncy and I fall behind when using the command.  Any tips on avoiding that?

Thanks,
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Bouncy using ctrl+W wingman
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's due to the lag in data packets being sent between you and your wingman.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
Wingman Auto-Pilot Tactics; An Aces High Fight with Latency, and your flight leader.  :devil

Rule #1 - If your joystick is causing you to drop out of auto-pilot level flight, you're going to have a hard time in formation flying with .wingman <Flight_leader>
Get your stick cleaned up so that you aren't being "bounced" out of auto-pilot.

Rule #2 - Flight leader should never be full RPM and full throttle for a climb-out as it's simply too difficult for his "wingmen" (in auto-pilot mode)
 to maintain a certain distance; Having the flight leader drop to normal power (from E6B) will allow any wingmen to maintain formation and proximity without minor corrections causing so much loss in speed as to create the "wobble" affect.

Rule #2B - When you're wobbling back and forth in wingman auto-pilot, it's because your auto-pilot can't maintain distance you just set between leader and yourself.  I've seen this all too many times when someone speeds up to the leader only to hit auto-pilot and have the auto-pilot drop throttle to "match" the leader's speed and heading; problem is, you lose too much and the auto-pilot never maintains the speed of the leader and eventually lags behind and starts wobbling.

Rule #2B - SubsetA - To correct for this, assuming your flight lead has reduced their throttle and RPM from max, manually fly into formation with flight lead and manually try to match their speed as best you can before engaging wingman auto-pilot.The closer your speed and heading to the leader, the less likely you will "wobble behind".

Rule #2B - SubsetB - What I found works, is to engage and disengage until you've found the sweet spot and when engaging auto-pilot doesn't drop your throttle "to match the leader", then you're locked in as it were.

Rule #3 - Patience and having a leader who's not impatient really helps... If the leader is full throttle WEP on, like a rocket-man!, don't bother with .wingman as you will only be frustrated by the wobble.
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
usually staying within like 150 - 200 of your wingman will keep you from getting that distance bounce.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
usually staying within like 150 - 200 of your wingman will keep you from getting that distance bounce.

You can lock into wingman mode anywhere within 1k i believe (somebody check me on that), and so long as your speed and heading are the same as leader, you won't get the bounce. But i'd tend to agree that within 200 is your best distance to "lock in" with the flight lead.
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »
Great tips.  Will try them in FSO shortly.  I'm guilty of swooping in and hitting ctrl+w before I pass him. 

Will be more careful matching speed. 

Thanks,
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:34:23 AM »
As others said, who you wing needs to be at reduced power for best use.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org