Author Topic: Which config files can be copied from AHII to AHII?  (Read 799 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Which config files can be copied from AHII to AHII?
« on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »
My new PC is operational, and Ijust installed AHIII on it.  It would save me a LOT of time if AHIII was able to use the settings files from my old AHII installation on my old PC.  Which files if any can I copy over? 

MH

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Which config files can be copied from AHII to AHII?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
You can copy the jsm and kmp files. You can also copy login.cfg.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
check here for what Skuzzy says.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,382862.msg5095272.html#msg5095272

That doesn't work when AH2 and AH3 are on 2 different computers.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
(sigh)

OK; I uninstalled AHIII, and will run AH2261.exe, which is the latest full install exe on my backup media; this will install AHII.  Hopefully I don't have to update it to the last version of AHII, as that involves running about 10-15 update exes. 

EDIT:  In the end, I just installed 2261, copied verbatim my "settings" folder from the last version of AHII, and AHIII imported the settings. 

MH
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:12:24 PM by TDeacon »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
(sigh)

OK; I uninstalled AHIII, and will run AH2261.exe, which is the latest full install exe on my backup media; this will install AHII.  Hopefully I don't have to update it to the last version of AHII, as that involves running about 10-15 update exes. 

EDIT:  ... and the problem with that idea is that the first update exe I have is AH2286TO2290.exe, so there appears to be a gap between the 2261 and 2286.  I wonder what happens if I skip one of the incremental updates?

MH

You shouldn't have to update AH2 at all. as long as it has the set files you want stick programing and such. Install AH3 and it should import those settings you want.

The maps and such you'll have to down load because they have all be upgraded to the "new" terrain just like the skins. All your really going to save I think is stick/control programming and maybe head positions. The rest you'll have to download fresh in game.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Hmmm; now I get pop-up error messages about how various files in "settings" can't be opened.  So the automatic import from AHII didn't work cleanly, apparently. 

MH

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:54:26 AM »
Hmmm; now I get pop-up error messages about how various files in "settings" can't be opened.  So the automatic import from AHII didn't work cleanly, apparently. 

MH

If you go from an very old copy of AH2, then the import will not work well, at all.

The files which can be safely copied from AH2 are the *.jsm, *.hps, *.kmp and the login.cfg files.  If you copy everything over from AH2 or try to install AH3 over the top of AH2, you will end up with a buggy game installation.

Starting with AH2261.EXE is no different than downloading and installing the full current copy of Aces High III.  Might even be less of a download to directly download it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
If you go from an very old copy of AH2, then the import will not work well, at all.

The files which can be safely copied from AH2 are the *.jsm, *.hps, *.kmp and the login.cfg files.  If you copy everything over from AH2 or try to install AH3 over the top of AH2, you will end up with a buggy game installation.

Starting with AH2261.EXE is no different than downloading and installing the full current copy of Aces High III.  Might even be less of a download to directly download it.

FYI, I uninstalled AH3, reinstalled AH3, and copied over from a 32-bit AHI2 install on my old PC the 4 file types you mention above.  First thing I see is "unable to open login.cfg", and then a bunch of similar messages for other files.  Perhaps I need to FIRST let the game create a "settings" folder, and THEN copy over the specified files from my last AH2 (circa September 2016)? 

Also, I don't understand your last sentence; it what way is an old version of AH2 "no different" from the latest AH3?

MH
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:36:22 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Make sure the files are not marked read-only and they are all in the "settings" folder.  If you are moving files from an NTFS filesystem to another NTFS filesystem, you could run into ownership issues if they are not owned by the same user.

If you can change the permissions of a file, then that should not be the issue.  Make sure you are not installing the game into the "Program Files" folder.  That will muck it up good.

Yes, it is best to first run the game, then copy the files into the "settings" folder.

When you tried to update from AH2261.EXE, all the game did was grab the entire AH3 installer.  No difference than downloading AH3 directly from the downloads page.  Downloading it directly would be preferred, if you have to go that route.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »
(text removed)
If you can change the permissions of a file, then that should not be the issue.  Make sure you are not installing the game into the "Program Files" folder.  That will muck it up good.
(text removed)

That's where I put it, as the last Windows I used was XP / 98 / 95.  An Internet search comes up with something called User Access Control in Win7 and later, which could be the issue.  But putting programs elsewhere doesn't make sense to me as a general rule, because what is "Program Files" for, if not for programs???  If I install stuff elsewhere, it will be more difficult to find and maintain.  Just starting with Win7 yesterday, but where will I put Visual Studio, or Photoshop, etc., if not Program Files?

MH
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:12:10 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
I create a "C:\Programs" folder for all my applications.  By default, the game installs into the "C:\HiTech Creations" folder, but I always create a "C:\Games" folder for all my games.

The "Programs Folder" is a special folder Microsoft takes control over and stores subfolders into a virtual store.  It makes a mess of things for us, and many other applications.  Basically, it takes direct access away from you and the game.  That is why your copy of files is failing to work with the game.

Nothing we can do about it.  That is why our default is NOT "Program Files".  Everything acts normally outside of the "Program Files" folder.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
I create a "C:\Programs" folder for all my applications.  By default, the game installs into the "C:\HiTech Creations" folder, but I always create a "C:\Games" folder for all my games.
(text removed)

So to simplify things, I could create a "Programs" directory, and install all games to it, including AH.  Additionally, I could install all other applications to my "Programs" directory, unless their installers specified "Program Files"?

MH

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
So to simplify things, I could create a "Programs" directory, and install all games to it, including AH.  Additionally, I could install all other applications to my "Programs" directory, unless their installers specified "Program Files"?

MH

If your installer allows the destination folder to be changed, I would change it.  Programs actually run better when they are installed outside of the "Programs Files" folder(s) because of all the snooping being done with the operating system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese