Author Topic: Ah for free????  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Ah for free????
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
Have free arenas or don't have them.  Perhaps after trying all there fixes for a game that is just capture the flag, mount high might realize that WWII armies followed the roads and had great battles over railway junctions, bridges and factories. 

The game never needed better graphics, AH2 was fine.  What the game sorely needs is strategy, a change to basic game play.  We have maps that could never support life.  No connecting road systems, no train systems  linking factories to towns, no convoys hauling fuel or ammo,  towns that magically recover simply by time.  No rivers to cross  or bridges to destroy or rebuild.  No engineering troops needed  to blow bridges or rebuild them after they were bombed.  It’s the stale capture the flag game play that is killing Aces High.   

The major WWII battles were fought over chock points,  on land, on the sea and in the air, they battled over beach heads, bridge heads, factories, fuel dumps connected by rail systems to refineries, connected to ports.  With realistic road, and rail systems, an infrastructure that supported the population and their armies.  All of the air battles , tank battles and ground battles were fought over control of the chock points.

All the graphics in the world will not fix stale game play.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »
I must not be playing the same game as you Traveler.  The fights yesterday evening were fantastic.  Then many of us went in to the FSO and had an absolute ball.  Is it perfect all the time?  Not possible, there are just too many definitions of what "perfect" is.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
I must not be playing the same game as you Traveler.  The fights yesterday evening were fantastic.  Then many of us went in to the FSO and had an absolute ball.  Is it perfect all the time?  Not possible, there are just too many definitions of what "perfect" is.

Just talking about the game play.  it's still capture the flag. It's still played exactly as it was on day one.  That’s just my opinion .  For what it’s worth that opinion is coming from 22 years of AW and AH, I stay because a few important friendships have developed over that time and we all agree that even though the game has become stale, we still enjoy our style of game play.  We have lost most of our squad members  due to the demands of life and for some, death, those of us left  continue to play not because of the graphics but due to friendships.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »
It needs to be total victory or nothing.  This Axis and Allies IPC Victory thing is confusing for new players.   Heck, I don't understand it either. 

Total war.   Total domination.   Unconditional surrender!   Muhuhuhahhahahhahahaaaaa!  :devil
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »
Have free arenas or don't have them.  Perhaps after trying all there fixes for a game that is just capture the flag, mount high might realize that WWII armies followed the roads and had great battles over railway junctions, bridges and factories. 

The game never needed better graphics, AH2 was fine.  What the game sorely needs is strategy, a change to basic game play.  We have maps that could never support life.  No connecting road systems, no train systems  linking factories to towns, no convoys hauling fuel or ammo,  towns that magically recover simply by time.  No rivers to cross  or bridges to destroy or rebuild.  No engineering troops needed  to blow bridges or rebuild them after they were bombed.  It’s the stale capture the flag game play that is killing Aces High.   

The major WWII battles were fought over chock points,  on land, on the sea and in the air, they battled over beach heads, bridge heads, factories, fuel dumps connected by rail systems to refineries, connected to ports.  With realistic road, and rail systems, an infrastructure that supported the population and their armies.  All of the air battles , tank battles and ground battles were fought over control of the chock points.

All the graphics in the world will not fix stale game play.

No we dont have rail and road for supply convoys, but they do have a supply system (see many complaints on how engineers rebuild towns so fast!). No we dont have choke points of bridges and such but many of the base lay out on maps set up points were to hold a field you need to take others, or damage others to take certain fields creating the same thing, sopt where battles are concentrated. The game STILL has all the elements to create strategic play. The problem is that in the effort to appeal to a wider audience (aka the sandbox) they have made too many ways around the strategies so that those that dont want to be bothered by them can skirt them, and so we have the capture the flag game play we have.

I was on until midnight eastern and as a rook the only "battle" going on was against the Knights and it was nothing more than a furball. While a furball is fun..... for a bit .... it gets boring/frustrating getting picked all the time unless you fly like ROCKY and "one pass haul azz" gets boring even faster. Before I logged me and a squdie went north to hold off half a dozen Bish who were trying to grab a base. WHile most of that fight was "dodge the HO" that the Bish seem to love to play it was far more fun than the furball after an hour or so.

I would love to see the strategic game play come back. I think the furball guys would love to see it too as it generally creates a fight. The issue is the majority of players look to capture the flag as Traveler calls it in the quickest easiest way.

Now if HTC were to add things to steer the game play toward a more strategic mode would this be a bad thing? Only to those who cant handle "working" toward a goal instead of just cruizing down the easiest path is my guess. Unfortunately, I think most of the gamers we have today fit in that category.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
It's aces high ....not High Generals
Get in a plane and bust some sheet up
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 02:36:53 AM »
To be honest fugi... I've seen every side love to play the HO game so to imply that bish more than most like to HO  would be incorrect..I was hoed plenty by rook and I've played on every side I say it's about equal.. Other than that I had fun fighting you guys last night in my Uber yak <S>
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
To be honest fugi... I've seen every side love to play the HO game so to imply that bish more than most like to HO  would be incorrect..I was hoed plenty by rook and I've played on every side I say it's about equal.. Other than that I had fun fighting you guys last night in my Uber yak <S>

I dont switch teams like I use to any more so my experience is only against knight and Bish. From that small sampling it seems to me that when fighting the Knights they dont go for the HO ALL the time, were as the Bish seem to go out of their way to HO. Let me explain.

When fighting Knits, more often than not they are as un organized as the Rooks and look to just fight for or defend against the Rooks. The Bish on the other hand are very "base grab" orientated. It is part of their DNA. So even if you should find only a few Bish together they are working to grab a base. Their plan is to do what ever it takes to get the base. Divebomb in bombers, Ho everything, scorch earth bases, they would collide if they could be sure that it would take out the enemy. Take one for the team is their rally cry as they lawndart into the terrain.

I only had the one fight against your yak last night and I really wasn't into it more than being another guy for you to worry about as I was working on trying to get my sound sorted out (it starts breaking up a few hours into a session). The other time I shot you down was twice from a gun on the CV group the Bish horde went after. I really couldn't miss with all you guys there!

It's aces high ....not High Generals
Get in a plane and bust some sheet up

Last night we had some fun fighting against the Knights, but then kills became more important than fights so the 20k group started picking those of us fighting. Only other fight was against the Bish horde rolling bases on the other front. Tough to "bust some sheet up" when your dodgin pickers or being shot at from 5 directions at once in a horde. Sorta takes the fun out of the game.

I agree that all teams HO, all teams Horde, but I think things should be added to the game to make it more "profitable" to NOT fly in a horde, and NOT HO, NOT to be able to divebomb buffs. Take the "gamey" crap out and put skill back in. Even adding a "free" group of planes to the MA isn't going to make people want to subscribe and stay if the game has no challenge. As it is now a bish mission is, auto take off, grab only enough alt to clear obstacle in the way on the way to target. Once there point nose down to the center of target, be it a hanger, a building, a barracks, open doors drop ALL ord on that one target.....just to be sure.... and try to pull out. If you do, use guns on anything until out of ammo....HO planes, vulch in ack (guns are too hard to hit) die. Rinse and repeat. How many times can you do that before you get bored and go look for another game to play?

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
I do understand where you are coming from.. We were definitely working as a horde last night.. Let me explain why.. We were desperate to save that map and rooks were one nit base away from rolling it we weren't sure how long the nits could hold the rooks from that last base so we did smash and grabs in force to be sure we got your own bases down to below 90℅ to save that map.. Our next concern was getting our own bases back that were close to our strats.. You see the rooks are drawn to our strats like a moth to light.. Thus there was constant bombardment of our AAA when you had bases close..I know this cause I'm one of the guys that will resup strats cause it is of strategic importance that if you want to keep your base it's a lot easier if your strats are up.. We didn't roll the map like some thought we were doing at least we didn't when I logged off early this morning.. There was a method to our madness last night we really wanted your CV dead so we threw everything we had at it we really wanted our bases back..Etc etc I much rather fly and fight than sit in a m3 just off my AAA strats like I was last night waiting for the b17s to finish dropping it so I can start bringing it back up but I will if I need to
"scott66"        

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
I played as a rook recently I know what it's like to fight against over whelming numbers.. Truth be told some find it a target rich environment I found it to be frustrating but I did enjoy very much flying with people I've been fighting against I call them friends... Same as when I was a nit recently.. admittedly when I switch sides I tried to avoid fighting the bish for obvious reasons.. However as a nit told me if you're a nit it's your morale duty to protect that base that the bish was trying to take so I agreed and ended up killing and get killed by some long time bish friends which led to a few PMs I received not to nasty just more or less WTFs are you doing in red.. Sorry OP I think I hijacked this thread way too much coffee..<S>
"scott66"        

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
WWI arena has now been moved to the 'free' tab as well.   :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 03:58:17 AM »
gotta say.. match play rules..

will be spending more time there, rather than chasin turds in the ma.

instant fights, who could ask for more?

I wouldnt be surprised when the free arena is more action packed then the MA.

Keep manning those guns and running supplies girls!   :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2017, 05:54:45 AM »
gotta say.. match play rules..

instant fights, who could ask for more?

I wouldnt be surprised when the free arena is more action packed then the MA.

Considering the fact that usually "nobody goes there if no one is there", I don't see that coming

I was checking out the free arenas the last 4 days, from (Euro) morning to late evening/night. Population was always 0 in all of them, while the Mellee Arena was going between 30 and slightly over 100.

By the way, I also remember the WW1 arena being absolutely action packed as well, yet after little more than a month about everyone wandered back to the much slower Main Arena...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:58:33 AM by Lusche »

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2017, 06:01:34 AM »
now now grandpa  :old: us kids say we gonna have fun and change the world.  :old:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2017, 06:07:51 AM »
now now grandpa  :old: us kids say we gonna have fun and change the world.  :old:

I hope you do  :rock