Author Topic: Working DD torpedos  (Read 1537 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: Working DD torpedos
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 02:02:47 AM »
How do PT boats manage?

The real ones or in AH?  In AH I use the CBDR technique.  CBDR stand for Constant Bearing Decreasing Range and ship captains and aircraft pilots are keenly aware of it because it means they are on a collision course.  So that's what I do: set a collision course for the torpedo and the target ship.  I first set the PT speed to equal the torpedo speed: 40 mph.  Then I lead the target ship by quite a bit and run for awhile with the #3 gun pointed at the target and then left in place.  If the target slowly gets ahead of the guns direction then turn the PT to lead the target more and reset the gun to point at the target.  If the target slowly falls behind the gun bearing then turn the PT to reduce the lead and reset the gun to point at the target.  Keep repeating this until the target ship stays perfectly aligned with the gun bearing.  Then keep running until you get relatively close, then drop the torpedoes.  If the target ship doesn't turn, you'll hit it every time.  Note that if at the beginning the target is going away from you, even at an angle, don't bother: neither your PT nor your torpedoes will ever catch it.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
How do PT boats manage?  ;) But, yes, I would further recommend a sight gauge and perhaps a gyro setting apparatus.

PT boats had a director that is basically a sight with an angle calculator and a slide for setting the target speed.  Basic but it worked.

http://mathscinotes.com/2013/06/aiming-torpedoes-from-a-pt-boat/

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Guys .... I'm just saying PTs sink ships in the game. Chances are only minuscule if the PTs are sunk.

http://clashofarms.com/files/surface_torpedo_tactics.pdf

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
I'm all up for player controllable destroyers with a full torpedo spread. THAT would at a lot of fun to Aces High.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
In AH I use the CBDR technique.  CBDR stand for Constant Bearing Decreasing Range and ship captains and aircraft pilots are keenly aware of it because it means they are on a collision course.  So that's what I do: set a collision course for the torpedo and the target ship.  I first set the PT speed to equal the torpedo speed: 40 mph.  Then I lead the target ship by quite a bit and run for awhile with the #3 gun pointed at the target and then left in place.  If the target slowly gets ahead of the guns direction then turn the PT to lead the target more and reset the gun to point at the target.

That works, but it shouldn't have to be that way.  You shouldn't have to sit in a gun position to do it.  All it takes is a set of binoculars at the helm fixed to give you a bearing angle and a couple of lines for distance measurement.   It is not rocket science and the technology was actually ON THE BOAT.