Author Topic: Heightmap example?  (Read 437 times)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Heightmap example?
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
Can someone guide me or show me an example of a heightmap to use in the terrain editor?

I can't seem to open the .raw files in paint.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Heightmap example?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
Welcome to the Aces High Forum, and the TE Topic.

.raw files can't be opened with paint, or any other graphics program to my knowledge without a plugin. There must be a way somewhere, perhaps Photo Shop, I don't know. You will probably need either GIMP or PS (a free license is available for personal use) at some point.

L3DT Pro, a $50.xx(?) 3rd party program has been recommended by HTC as a way to manipulate .raw files.

Artik's program is a fast way to generate a terrain and get started but there are some important TE import steps the beginner might miss. I think it's covered in his README file so unless you already have a project in mind, that's where you could start.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Heightmap example?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
Yes, you can open the raw file in photoshop but it is a bit of pain to do so.

When the "Photoshop Raw Options" dialog comes up:

1) Width should be 4096 pixels
2) Height should be 4096 pixels
3) Count should be 1
4) Depth 16 bit
5) IBM PC
6) Header Size 0 bytes

The image will open BUT it will be flipped vertically from the way it will be displayed in the Terrain Editor. I find it easiest to flipped it while working on it then flip it back. Also remember to don't your image mode from grayscale once it is open.

Also note that the splining of the shorelines is NOT done via the .raw file. If you only do your shorelines in the raw file they will come out blocky. You will need to do manual splining in the Terrain Editor.

X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team