Author Topic: YAK-3 needs to be perked  (Read 1562 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: YAK-3 needs to be perked
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
@bozon can it be that in your series of how to kill yak, you shot 7mm rounds instead of 20mm?
No definitely only 20 mm.

I believe that the Yak 3 is not designed by HTC to be this durable - it is an artifact of the damage model itself. The "all or nothing" model favors parts of small area. The yak wings are so small that a typical volly of hits registers on different parts of the wing - wing tip, root, ailerons, flaps, gears... and thus spreads the damage between them. Since it is "all or nothing" a volley that will register all the hits on a spit's wingroot is spread all over the wing components of the yak and the result is nil actual damage to any of them. It is funny to unload a volley of hispanos into a yak 3 wing and the only damage is the gear falling off.

Other small planea tend to show a similar effect. The Brew is also quite durable for a plane that was stripped of most of its armor by the Finns.

The post the I made of "how to kill the yak 3" is of course an extreme fluke. But the general feeling is that the yak is harder to bring down than most other planea due to the above mentioned effects. I hope HT plans some upgrades to the damage modeling down the road. I can see why this would not be his #1 priority, but I hope it is on his list.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
I've found a single tater usually brings them down like almost any fighter, but that's a tater.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
No definitely only 20 mm.

I believe that the Yak 3 is not designed by HTC to be this durable - it is an artifact of the damage model itself. The "all or nothing" model favors parts of small area. The yak wings are so small that a typical volly of hits registers on different parts of the wing - wing tip, root, ailerons, flaps, gears... and thus spreads the damage between them. Since it is "all or nothing" a volley that will register all the hits on a spit's wingroot is spread all over the wing components of the yak and the result is nil actual damage to any of them. It is funny to unload a volley of hispanos into a yak 3 wing and the only damage is the gear falling off.

Other small planea tend to show a similar effect. The Brew is also quite durable for a plane that was stripped of most of its armor by the Finns.

The post the I made of "how to kill the yak 3" is of course an extreme fluke. But the general feeling is that the yak is harder to bring down than most other planea due to the above mentioned effects. I hope HT plans some upgrades to the damage modeling down the road. I can see why this would not be his #1 priority, but I hope it is on his list.

The Finns did not stripped the Brewster of its armor, they replaced the previously removed armor...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 04:04:19 AM »
wait wait-I have another idea I don't remember if YAK-3 is late war plane-if it is then perk all late war planes hehe or make all late war planes same eny-might help eny problems when one side is higher in players.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
I've found a single tater usually brings them down like almost any fighter, but that's a tater.

Was about to say the same thing. Takes me one 30 mm
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
They added it after winter-war, during the whole winter-war they flew without cockpit protection and sealed fuel tanks, during the continuation war, they used a light pilot armor, and no sealed fule tank, strange how easy the zeke burns, and brewster does not.

The Finns did not stripped the Brewster of its armor, they replaced the previously removed armor...
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
The lack of armor during the winter war wasnt an issue since the Brewsters did not see any action before the war ended.

I havent seen any reports of the Brewster being fragile but on the other hand the Finnish Brewster rarely was in the receiving end of the fire and did not meet that many multi cannon birds..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking