Author Topic: Mirrirs in the p51?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
Re: Mirrirs in the p51?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 06:01:41 AM »
I asked couple time they said no.
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »
In the 51 u can pull an exorsist type head spin ....so they prolly don't make a lot of sense. The hellcat could u a couple.
The Hellcat needs a periscope, a mirror will not do.
Mirrors are good for fixing your lipstick and parking in reverse.

In the mosquito I do not need mirrors - my navigator and I fix each others lipstick. We also have pajamas parties and argue on who is the cutest member of One Direction.  :rock
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:49:24 PM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 03:11:55 PM »
I wonder how effective mirrors were.  I would expect vibration to make them nearly useless.

We still have them for a reason! (and NO, its not so we can look upon our own glorious visages--though that is a plus!!!)

Used them quite effectively in both F4s and F-15s .. though nothing compares with getting turned around and looking at them, there are times when it just isn't practical.

Cheers,

-Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
Mossie pilot's camouflage themselves believing green lipstick makes them invisible, and yet all red cons head their direction thinking there is a pajama party nearby.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »

Used them quite effectively in both F4s and F-15s ..

You flew both the F-4 and F-15.  Awesomeness.  Friend of mine here in Alaska did that as well.  Phantom is just phantastic, Eagle is cool as well (for a jet).

As for the mirrors, I was wondering how well they worked on a piston engine airplane because of the vibration, turbine shouldn't be shaking that hard.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"