Author Topic: The Thing About AH3 Skinning That P(beeps) Me Off In 100 Words Or Less...  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Thing About AH3 Skinning That P(beeps) Me Off In 100 Words Or Less...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 11:59:18 PM »
That mottling is good!
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »
That mottling is good!

Looking st the screen shots, you really cant see the mottle I added just for the metal. Most of the variation is from my regular methods.

Something else I thought of pertaining to your Pony skins: the silver painted parts should use a darker value on the _S map and a lighter value on the _P assuming you want glossy paint. Also the silver paint should not have any blueish tone to it.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »
Getting panels to look uneven (warpy, if you will) would require the normal map to contain the uneven heights, then matching the specular unevenness using the power map.  The oxidation would be in the diffuse.

Do not try and bake lighting effects into the skin.  If you do, they might look good from one direction, but then lousy from another.  Besides the color, the diffuse would also contain dirt, smoke stains, and so on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
Skuzzy, the problem is that the normal maps struggle to smoothly render subtle details. In my first screen shot, you can see that the rivets on the front cowling are made into solid strips with hard edges and right angles in the normal map - it looks horrible. Also, because of the wash-out effect the lighting system has, baked in detail is washed out before the differences can be seen. A combination really is the best solution.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
Skuzzy, the problem is that the normal maps struggle to smoothly render subtle details. In my first screen shot, you can see that the rivets on the front cowling are made into solid strips with hard edges and right angles in the normal map - it looks horrible. Also, because of the wash-out effect the lighting system has, baked in detail is washed out before the differences can be seen. A combination really is the best solution.

Being willing to present a bare aluminum project like that means at this point you are probably the only person who can see anything wrong with it. This 109 is in a league of it's own compared to anything else you have done. Now if you can bless Vriacu with your technique, that already good looking skin file he posted will look as good in the game as the file does in it's current 2D format.

By the way, I like the subtlety of your blue in the reflections and your rivets and panel lines have great proportions to the world's scale. I bet it looks just as good under a cloud cover.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »
Being willing to present a bare aluminum project like that means at this point you are probably the only person who can see anything wrong with it. 

At first I thought I was doing something wrong, or else I would have been more vocal on this specific issue right after AH3 launched. Once I saw that Greebo's new Ki-61 and TBM skins do the same thing, I knew it was the the system that cant handle shallow indentations.

Here are more shots to illustrate the problem and the viability of maintaining baked in detail/

Wing angled to avoid reflecting light. Shows baked in detail only.

Wing pitched up to encourage shading and highlighting stark normal map details. A single pixel rivet projects a 5 pixel wide square that connects to the next square to create a solid stripe.

Overhead view to show more awful details. As the camera pulls away, the details become spottily drawn but no less stark.

Any skin I have done for AH3 and will do for AH3 will be sans rivet detail on the normal map.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »

How are you generating the normal map?  Take a look at the rivets on our B29 skin.  They are smooth and we have a slight dimple around them.  If you are trying to edit the normal map, by hand, then you are not going to get the results you want.  You need to be working with a bump map, then converting it to a normal map.

Take note of the many options available when generating the normal map.  You might have to mess with it a bit to get what you want.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "wash-out" effect.  Do you have power and environment maps?  That B20 test skin I did shows many effects with the lighting you can have and how they impact the light interaction with the skin.

If you are trying to match a photograph taken in direct sunlight, with your diffuse, then you are not going to get the results you are looking for because you are painting the light interaction in the photograph, which is then going to be lit again in the game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:55:06 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »
Yes, Skuzzy I'm using all of the maps. And the normal maps are being made from bump maps.

Take a look at the rivets on our B29 skin. 

Looks banded to me.

The "wash-out" effect is what I'm seeing when the reflected light off the skin overpowers the diffuse map at the right viewing angle angle. It is more pronounced on light colors. Pay attention to what happens to the white stripes.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
I am seeing the same thing Devil.  Look at my 190D9 post in the skinners forum.

Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
This may be the best bare metal I've seen, Devil!   Congrats!

However its really hard to get the lighting to interact with the flat horizontal surfaces.  When I get the angles on the fuselage that show very believable glare to the metal, the wings look too flat and dull and to me. 

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
This may be the best bare metal I've seen, Devil!   Congrats!
However its really hard to get the lighting to interact with the flat horizontal surfaces.  When I get the angles on the fuselage that show very believable glare to the metal, the wings look too flat and dull and to me. 

Thanks Oboe. That is why it is still important to bake in lighting effects into the diffuse map.

I am seeing the same thing Devil.  Look at my 190D9 post in the skinners forum.

Where?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
Here it is.

Fencer

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »
Fencer you need to raise the power.

HiTech

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
Fencer you need to raise the power.

HiTech

Thanks Dale, I will give it a shot.
Fencer

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
Being willing to present a bare aluminum project like that means at this point you are probably the only person who can see anything wrong with it. This 109 is in a league of it's own compared to anything else you have done. Now if you can bless Vriacu with your technique, that already good looking skin file he posted will look as good in the game as the file does in it's current 2D format.

By the way, I like the subtlety of your blue in the reflections and your rivets and panel lines have great proportions to the world's scale. I bet it looks just as good under a cloud cover.

Thanks Bustr.    I would love for skills like his to rub off on me but that's a miracle too far I suspect.   

May just have to stick with non-NMF skins from now on. 

Devil, that aluminum looks fabulous.   How much of that is due to bake-in vs. spec mapping?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted