Author Topic: Kinda Stuck ...Upgrade ?  (Read 687 times)

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Kinda Stuck ...Upgrade ?
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
Here is what I currently run:

I5 3570K @4.7 Ghz
Asus P8p67
8GB Gkill 2100
GB 980 TI 6GB
Samsung 256 GB SsD
Corsair 750 W PSU

Looking at benchmarks and gaming it looks like the new intel cpu's have made gains ,but not large gains from what i have seen .  I wondering if i should go with a full rebuild right now or wait to see what comes down the road.  My 980 over clocks to above 1070 levels so the real only upgrade would be to a 1080 imho .  What would you all do ....have any suggestions? Thx

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Kinda Stuck ...Upgrade ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
I think you are only looking at slight incremental performance upgrades for a lot of money.

The 980Ti is between a 1060 and 1070 in performance, with it just trailing the 1070.  The 1080Ti just got announced.  It might be a good performance upgrade, but still waiting on results for that one.

There is not much more performance in the CPU area against what you have.

Doe snot seem like there is a bang-for-the-buck upgrade path.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
Oh my!

Having read all the whining about how the $300 Wal-Mart laptop can't run AH3 this is something different!

What exactly are your issues?

What is the resolution and/or refresh rate of your monitor(s)?

As Skuzzy said, there's not much to be gained. At least nothing that would dramatically boost your gaming. Remember the old rule of thumb: To really enjoy an upgrade you'd have to double the performance of the previous level.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »
Thanks for the replys,.... Biz I have 27'' benQ XL2720Z that runs 1920 x 1080 @ 144hz .  Guess my biggest issue is seeing cons from distance ...and when they are against the ground.

I have also been looking at the new 34-35 inch monitors ( cant see what i used to lol) .  It seems like Ive been running the cpu/mobo combo forever lol...but looks like it might be worth it to run another 6 months or so and see what happens .  Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. <S>

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
Disable the "anti-alias" option in the games Options->Graphic Details->Post Lighting to see the "dots" better.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the replys,.... Biz I have 27'' benQ XL2720Z that runs 1920 x 1080 @ 144hz .  Guess my biggest issue is seeing cons from distance ...and when they are against the ground.

I have also been looking at the new 34-35 inch monitors ( cant see what i used to lol) .  It seems like Ive been running the cpu/mobo combo forever lol...but looks like it might be worth it to run another 6 months or so and see what happens .  Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. <S>

I have a 670 and it runs my 42 inch tv at 1080p with almost all the eye candy turned on with no problem.

If I was you Id hang on to what you have, but get a much bigger screen.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
What Skuzzy said, 38. The AA softens the edges of the dots. If they're like a pixel or so to start with that just makes em that much harder to see. I noticed when I got a 1080 monitor I immediately started having trouble seeing dots at long range like I used to. I've found turning off AA in NVCP takes care of it. They're back to being nice black dots. I will say they seem to be easier to see sometimes. I'm guessing it's a haze setting on a terrain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses .... i do have that stuff turned off in AH settings but have AA cranked to 8x in the nvcp . Ill turn it off there and see what happens . Thanks Again! <S>

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 06:08:36 AM »
As you all probably know, the size of the monitor doesn't tell anything about how much the video card has to struggle. 1920x1080 gives the same load on a 15.6" laptop screen than on a 60" TV.

A high refresh rate like the 144 Hz in 38ruk's case will multiply the load by 2.4.

Getting a 4k monitor will quadruplicate the load.

38ruk, reading between the lines I understand that your eyesight isn't like that of an eagle any more, so turning AA off completely would not dramatically decrease the image quality. The pixel size on your screen is quite small so the sawtooth effect in diagonal lines isn't too drastic. If you can't see the grid on the screen, your built-in AA will take care of it. In any case, 8x is overkill.

Here's how AA works. This should be a solid black single pixel wide freehand diagonal line. See how it blends into the white background with the various shades of grey. Now image a single dot blending into a mottled background...

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
Here is what I currently run:

I5 3570K @4.7 Ghz
Asus P8p67
8GB Gkill 2100
GB 980 TI 6GB
Samsung 256 GB SsD
Corsair 750 W PSU

Looking at benchmarks and gaming it looks like the new intel cpu's have made gains ,but not large gains from what i have seen .  I wondering if i should go with a full rebuild right now or wait to see what comes down the road.  My 980 over clocks to above 1070 levels so the real only upgrade would be to a 1080 imho .  What would you all do ....have any suggestions? Thx
I have basically the same setup but a 970 instead of a 980. I've thought about doing an overhaul but there's nothing my system can't run yet unless I were to go with a higher resolution monitor (I currently have a 34" Ultrawide, 2x 28", 1 24", and 1 21.5" all at 1080p). I don't think you'll see big performance gains upgrading the processor.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
Hi 38ruk,

The only thing I'd like to suggest is to check your BenQ monitor to see if it's drivers scale the displayed image to fit the screen real estate or not.

If they do then you can turn off all GPU scaling in your vid card drivers......

This may help your visuals some as well.

I just recently found this out w\ my Asus 27" MG279Q Gaming Monitor as it will natively scale the displayed graphics image to fit the screen real estate so I didn't need to use any of the vid card driver GPU scaling and once I turned it all off in my vid card drivers it did make a difference for the better in the visuals for me.

YMMV..........

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:03:14 AM »
Thanks for the tip pudgy. I'll take a look. Also saw VR has come down a tick so might take a look into the VR world.

Yeah Biz 8x is overkill usually run at 4x but seems that 8x hasn't been hurting performance too much lately. Now with my VR interest that could help me see dots better. I was thinking about a larger screen  so this might be the upgrade haha thanks all

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
you *can* see dots much further out than most folks when you have VR.  At least that's been my experience.

I had a lot of trouble seeing what planes were doing or even if they were coming towards me or going away from me on a monitor and really was just flying bombers mostly (and just FSO really) the past year because of it.

With VR I can see very clearly what's going on and have gone back to fighting.   :aok   and flying in the Melee arena more.

I think you are going to LOVE VR!!  :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.