Author Topic: How (not) to handle a .44 Magnum...  (Read 926 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: How (not) to handle a .44 Magnum...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
What should the instructor say or do after an errant round is discharged?

Offer his resignation. :)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:20 PM »
What should the instructor say or do after an errant round is discharged?

He should admit he screwed up and take responsibility. Whatever that is it sure as hell isnt saying you meant to do it or reach for another gun on the table with a hole in your leg while a class room of kids are screaming "NO"!

It always seems to happen with the big mouth know it alls.

Tequila its time to put the guns away before you kill someone if your having those kind of issues. I know I would.

I have a rule. I always check twice if a gun is unloaded and I run a finger thru the empty mag well.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 01:23:37 AM »
Tequila its time to put the guns away before you kill someone if your having those kind of issues. I know I would.

I have a rule. I always check twice if a gun is unloaded and I run a finger thru the empty mag well.

Appreciate your concern and advice...

I've already posted here, owning up to my mistake... I've already added extra precautions, if or when I am target practicing (hardly any since that happened last August)

It was an eye opener for me of how badly my Cervical Spinal Stenosis at the C8 main nerve at the C7 & T1 vertebra had deteriorated/worsened...

Still though, my post was meant to be a lesson of what not to do.....

I posted, to show what can happen, no matter how experienced a person might be with firearms...

As for the OP, I agree he should have owned his mistake and resigned or gotten fired, as others have posted...

Saying that it's time for me to put the guns away before I kill someone is a bit much, after I have already posted of taking extra precautions of how I keep my guns stored yet ready to be used if a need arises.... but I know you meant it in a concern and sincere way

:salute

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if that .44 had been "tuned" to have a very light trigger pull.  A friend of mine had a .357 done that way and when you cocked it for single action the tiniest pressure on the trigger would fire it.   I cocked it and as I was bringing it up to sight the target I set it off by merely touching the trigger - way too sensitive for me.  I'll stick with double-action if you please. 

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if that .44 had been "tuned" to have a very light trigger pull.  A friend of mine had a .357 done that way and when you cocked it for single action the tiniest pressure on the trigger would fire it.   I cocked it and as I was bringing it up to sight the target I set it off by merely touching the trigger - way too sensitive for me.  I'll stick with double-action if you please.

Yeah, I'm the same.  I stick with classic Sig autos and Smith/Ruger/Taurus revolvers.   Factory trigger setups for any and all of these have been more than adequate for my needs. I'm not Rob Leatham.   :D
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
You dont "owe" me any explanations Tequila you dont have to "own up" for anything to me. What you do have to do is whats right regarding your medical condition. My spine is whacked as well and I barely got thru my career as a PO. There may very well be a day when I have to quit my favorite sport and I hope I have the wisdom to know it.

An AD can happen to anyone. In fact its happens to the experienced more then the inexperienced and I know I'm always one click away from one should I take my mind off that weapon for a second. Having to actually use them in the past has only re-enforced that to me.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
I hated the guy that "tuned" their guns, added mods, adjusted, etc.  Became department policy that no modifications/adjustments could be made without approval of the department armorer...and general the gun had to be factory stock to be carried on duty.

To lighten a trigger is just silly on a combat/defense weapon.  You're going to be badly stressed, light trigger increases chance of unintentional discharge.

Fellow officer shot himself in the rear holstering a S&W revolver with a trigger shoe (makes the trigger wider) in a break front holster.  The trigger shoe extended beyond the edge of the trigger guard, trigger pressed by lips of holster.

I spent a couple days picking bullet and concrete fragments out of my leg after the fellow in the locker next to me discharged his revolver into the floor between us when holstering in a break front holster.  Possibly got the retaining strap thru the trigger guard in front of trigger.

Guys would back off on the hammer spring screw to lighten the trigger on a S&W revolver.  Misfires result because of light hammer fall.

Twice guys unloading Remington 870 pump guns had negligent discharges....one into the side of the dispatch building (managed to miss the bullet trap), the other was through the roof of the patrol car.

At the start of shift I grabbed an 870 out of the gun safe to find that it was loaded, round chambered and safety off.  Think about taking a long gun out of a safe, it's stored muzzle up, you grab it and pull it toward you. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:27:16 PM by colmbo »
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
Most PDs dont allow any modifications to guns even if they are guns the individual officer bought from an approved list. Now that I dont have to answer to a PD I am slowly getting at least my Glocks where I want them. The Glock is like the Leggo set of the gun world, a moron could work on them.

So I recently had an issue with a G-43. I correctly diagnosed the failure to feed was caused by a out of spec extractor that was causing little burrs to form on the extractor face and was causing my feed issues. I called Glock and asked them to send me another one and you know what they told me? They told me they could only send it to a Glock armorer with instructions for the armorer to put it on.

If you have never seen an extractor replacement for a Glock its something I could train my dog to do, or most certainly a chimpanzee. The "armorers school" is a 4 hour class you take so you can wave a little diploma around and start charging people $45 to have $10 warrantied parts sent to you. I know a girl who took that class and still doesnt know how to take a Glock apart to clean. Needless to say I wasn't happy.

So....I ordered my own extractor, put it in myself, and fixed the problem. I would never recommend the G-43 or 42 to anyone there have been just to many issues with them.

So since I dont like Glock triggers and dont have to answer to a Dept. anymore I am slowly bringing mine to my own personal spec. I like a clean break and dont like a lot of pre-travel. I DONT believe in competition light triggers in carry guns and only have one in my paper punching G-34 and 1911's. The important thing to know when working on guns is what your skill limit is but Ive been shooting for 50 years and I'm not about to pay some gun smith for stuff I can do myself.

And that "Armorers school" stuff is one big scam. $250 for a one day course, no wonder Glock will only send parts to one. The more people who make money in the Loop will make more people take the course, hoping to make money. You get a few suckers to pay you to replace parts on such a simple gun and you've covered your nut and its all green after that.