Author Topic: Really jumpy gunsights  (Read 2989 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Really jumpy gunsights
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
You can trim your fighter for 300tas and above, stay on combat trim until needed, mostly when you dive, then turn off combat trim. You can keep your top speed longer for a chase starting in a dive if you have combat trim off. Combat trim constantly adjusting causes you to loose your top speed and fall back. I surprise players by how long my spit8\16 will stay with them out of a dive or catch up by doing this.

Trimmed for 300 will have you feeling like your nose is heavy when your speed drops under it. If I'm sure my maneuvering will be 200-275 I turn combat trim back on. Two problems with combat trim, if you are trying to precisely pull up under to shoot your nose will pull up above. This will cause nose bouncing while you fight it. And when you push down to get a precise aimpoint, you have to fight the combat trim.

You can see this offline in the drone circle when you get behind and just under a drone and try to hold a steady aimpoint to shoot from underneath while climbing. But, when you are turning low and slow, not having to worry about your nose helps. It's all trade offs. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.