Author Topic: I think the tracer smoke is too heavy and set with persistence too high....  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
I don't use tracers either.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member

Wow.

You just lost a lot of credibility, Dobs.

- Oldman

Do you know the definition of credibility?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQrKNp6aFxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vKcSteqCEA

Was he a meanie? Maybe. And HTC has slapped Rule 4 on him but his credibility does not diminish for having been mean on the interwebs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:19:06 AM by Dawger »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I agree with Dobs, tracer smoke is visible to too long distance and stays too long.

smoke should be visible only to maybe around 200 yards head and fade shortly after the plane passes this distace, so you don't see such a long smoke trails behind you. Tracer light should be visible to a large distance like it is now.
Tracer burnout is 900 meters if I remember correctly? So it is kinda ridiculous that people are shooting from 1K with the effect they are today.

I'm all for shortening it up so the lazers aren't as effective over actual ACM. :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Agreed Oldman. That could be perceived as a putz move bro. What were you hoping to point out Dobs?

That I couldn't find a trace of this guy flying in the last 3 melee rounds...but I did find him in GVs.

Don't know him, don't know his past..don't know that I've seen him online.

The intent of the post was to show why I think tracer smoke is overdone and too persistent.  The "no value added crowd" just likes to post it appears.....

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
For the record, I like the current tracer smoke.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
The visibility of tracers in real life was dependant on humidity of the air, air temperature, air pressure, time of day, and the visibility in the air. In addition, they're dependant on the type of ammo used (type of incendiary, quality of the round).  In Aces High, they're always in the perfect condition that gives an 'added flare.'

Conversely we also don't have contrails at higher altitudes. Again, visibility of contrails dependant exactly the same as tracers.

I like the look.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mr. Fork,
tracer light and tracer smoke trail are two different things.

Tracers from heavy machine guns used by infantry are visible to many hundred of meters as "fireflies" even in daylight. They leave very little smoke trail because that would be a very bad thing for infantry. I do not know if the tracers used by planes in WWII used a different burning composition that produced more smoke on purpose. If they did, it would probably be very faint from 800 yards, probably invisible. The tracer light emission was likely still clearly visible.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:14:26 AM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
Mr. Fork,
tracer light and tracer smoke trail are two different things.

Tracers from heavy machine guns used by infantry are visible to many hundred of meters as "fireflies" even in daylight. They leave very little smoke trail because that would be a very bad thing for infantry. I do not know if the tracers used by planes in WWII used a different burning composition that produced more smoke on purpose. If they did, it would probably be very faint from 800 yards, probably invisible. The tracer light emission was likely still clearly visible.

I liked the tracer fire in "FURY", and I like the tracer smoke in this game.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
That I couldn't find a trace of this guy flying in the last 3 melee rounds...but I did find him in GVs.

Don't know him, don't know his past..don't know that I've seen him online.

Then allow me to introduce him.  Jaeger1 has flown in AH for a decade (more?).  One of the original JG11 members, he stepped forward to help run the AvA arena six or seven years ago.  He, Jimson, Easyscor, USRanger and others have struggled to keep that arena open and interesting, a truly thankless task, let me tell you.  I have never seen a dark side of Jaeger1, no matter what gets thrown at him.  It is unremarkable that you observed only GV scores if you only checked back a few tours; the AvA has been featuring a GV-oriented series of trial-and-error events. 

He often throws light-hearted posts into threads - such as the one that prompted you to investigate scores.  I hope you two get along well.

- oldman

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member

Then allow me to introduce him.  Jaeger1 has flown in AH for a decade (more?).  One of the original JG11 members, he stepped forward to help run the AvA arena six or seven years ago.  He, Jimson, Easyscor, USRanger and others have struggled to keep that arena open and interesting, a truly thankless task, let me tell you.  I have never seen a dark side of Jaeger1, no matter what gets thrown at him.  It is unremarkable that you observed only GV scores if you only checked back a few tours; the AvA has been featuring a GV-oriented series of trial-and-error events. 

He often throws light-hearted posts into threads - such as the one that prompted you to investigate scores.  I hope you two get along well.

- oldman
Thank you for the intro and thank you to Jaeger for all of his hard work and time to make the game better,  <S>!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Although it is a small detail and I also no longer have a vested interest, but just to be clear Jaeger was never in JG11.  I believe you are referring to JG54. And it is also lucky for us that he is not one of the originals.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Although it is a small detail and I also no longer have a vested interest, but just to be clear Jaeger was never in JG11.  I believe you are referring to JG54. And it is also lucky for us that he is not one of the originals.
correct - he helped found JG54 with myself and ( heaven forbid I mention his name Storch) waaay back before Oldman and I started the Gunfighters. Not sure of the history of JG-11 Bug. And when OM and I retired as admins of the AvA he took over - all-in approach!

Dobs - :salute
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:28:52 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member

- oldman

If this was an attempt at a light heartedness, then it falls way short.
1: Jager had no way of knowing he would get his stats published, so he was by proxy, inferring he flew AC.
2: Dobs has no way of knowing Jager was in AVA doing GV stuff all the time, so pulling his stats strengthened the point of Jagers comment being of nonvalue in the thread.
3: Dobs has no way of knowing who/what/when or even how long Jager has played.
4: Great for Jager to have been CM of the AVA arena, I was a CM for quiet sometime myself over a decade ago. It does have perks.
5: Thanks for being a White Knight for another player, I guess. Cudos
6: If Jager was jesting as you claim, then  Dobs reply was a perfect Jest back at Jager and thus doesn't warrant your disapproval.
7: Know your facts about players before you attempt to enlighten NEWER players.
8: Why wouldn't they get along? And are you gonna referee them until they do? They don't seem to actually have a problem with each other.
9: Tracers on or tracers off isn't the topic of the thread, the thread is about accuracy in graphics.
10: Have a good day and I am sure you will lose respect for me. OH, who were you again?

CRETON
2000-2017
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:09:12 PM by Creton »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
LOL this whole thread has blown up and I still do not use tracers. Have not for more than 15 years. The tracers were always distracting to me.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Getting back on track - there are three sides to this?

1. If you don't like the tracer effects, you 'can' just turn them off. Problem solved.   :airplane:  :cool:

2. If you like the tracer effects, leave them on because they're fine or you can live with it.  :rock  :aok

3. If you don't like the tracer effects, but like the tracer bullet tracking, well, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. You're essentially in a constant state of purgatory. Or hell. (depending how much you hate the tracer effects). :joystick:  :bhead

Interesting dilemma with no easy answer. :confused: