Author Topic: Jettison of Wg21 rocket rails  (Read 572 times)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Jettison of Wg21 rocket rails
« on: March 25, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »
I just read on Wikipedia that the Luftwaffe planes that carried the WG21 rocket had the ability to jettison the tubes in order to revert to a clean profile. If that is correct, it would be a nice feature to have.

Chuikov

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
Re: Jettison of Wg21 rocket rails
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
+1 if accurate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dedstick

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werfer-Granate_21

Under usage. I have at times found Wikipedia to somewhat inaccurate however.

Chuikov

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
No.  They were not intended to be jettisoned.  The capability was for emergencies only.  In AH it would be used every time somebody carried them. It is like asking for a four cannon Spitfire.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
But that logic, drop tanks should not be jettisonable either.  :rolleyes:
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
No.  They were not intended to be jettisoned.  The capability was for emergencies only.  In AH it would be used every time somebody carried them. It is like asking for a four cannon Spitfire.

In AH when those tubes are attached to your wings, it becomes an emergency if a storch finds you. The tubes were made from steel which was a scarce war materiel so the rule against was for the sake of the material. Anything with those tubes caught by allied fighters died if they didn't jettison them. Makes you wonder if the foundation for the rule was to get pilots to push through to the bombers no matter what versus dropping the payload to cut and run. We only see combat footage of a single 110 firing those rockets while everything else in AAF combat footage had clean wings when it came to those tubes.

Allowing the explosive bolt to be triggered might increase the use of those rockets adding more of that dimension to the game. In a positive note for creating activity, if more players are willing to take the chance of getting caught because they can jettison, you will have more targets in the environment. Over the years while listening to and reading text range in all three countries, not being able to jettison was the single reason the majority refused to use those rockets. Probably why very few are any good with them today even though it looks like Hitech accounted for the 40 degree spin deviation. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
But that logic, drop tanks should not be jettisonable either.  :rolleyes:
Nonsense.  Droptanks were, as the name suggests, routinely dropped.  They didn't require explosive bolts to do so either.

Over the years while listening to and reading text range in all three countries, not being able to jettison was the single reason the majority refused to use those rockets. Probably why very few are any good with them today even though it looks like Hitech accounted for the 40 degree spin deviation.

Drag is certainly the reason I almost never took the rockets on the Mossie.  The loss of speed even after firing the rockets was just too much.  At least with the bomb shackles you only lose 2 or 3mph.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
Nonsense.  Droptanks were, as the name suggests, routinely dropped.

But there were regulations dictating that empty "drop" tanks be retained even if no combat was entered.

The method was for removing the items is irrelevant. The logic behind when to retain or jettison them is the same.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Boing!!!........Wish granted.

I did extensive testing and find no difference between 110g totally clean and after firing off rockets.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution