Author Topic: Vote on what will be the June, 2017 Scenario  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Vote on what will be the June, 2017 Scenario
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »
You say you're shooting for a two scenarios in June and October - how does this schedule coincide with planning for the August BoB 12 hour event? Is this BoG event going to be four 3-hour frames or a 12 hour event?

Howdy.

June and October are 4-frame scenarios.

The August events is a single-frame 12-hour Battle of Britain.

Offline KrzyIvan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »
  B
Please don't tell Mum I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whor3house.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
Krusty, the jug overload ammo did exist. However, it may have been used only in strafing missions. I don't really know.

Hmmmm looks full to me.

It didn't exist. Ever. Look it up. Look up actual records and accounts. Look at primary sources. The ONLY instance, ever, where they claim this "overload" ammo was used was on a ferry trip where a group of pilots were attacked and engaged in a fight -- and ONE single pilot claimed that they "must have" loaded twice the ammo because he saw his "end-of-belt" tracers and then had more ammo after it. That's the entirety of the argument for them. Every other source in every instance and even the documents and records recording actual loadouts during combat missions, the math of ammo expended after a plane returned, etc, ALL of it is for the 267-round loadout -- or only slightly higher than that in a small enough percentage of reports that it may have been an unusual loadout or possibly a reporting error. Even the small couple of reports that listed 300 actual rounds are statistically insignificant to the rest of the reports, and most of them are pre-combat P-47C "estimate" reports of what "might" be used. Nothing ever lists more than 300, and the majority of all reports you can ever find are 250-267 rpg.

Fencer: That looks pretty full, yes... Full of 267 RPG. You can see identical images loaded exactly the same way but with the number of rounds notated. The doors on the wings themselves even state the limits of loading 267 RPG and no more. It looks like a lot because 267 RPG is a butt-load of ammo when you have 4 guns per wing. That image, nice as it is, only serves to prove my point along with every other reference.

I mean this literally: it's a fantasy loadout based on a subjective and unreliable account from a single pilot during a ferry flight and ignores other plausible possibilities like -- it was a ferry flight so belting the ammo in the right order didn't matter -- the tracer belts could have been coupled in the middle just to store them for the flight because they were never intended for combat use.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
if actual.50s were as anemic as AH .50s then there would be plenty of documentation of them overloading Jugs. 
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »
Mak, I'm no expert on all the nuances of all the difference guns in this game, but I do enjoy flying a lot of different planes to varrying levels of proficiency. 6x50cal are brutal in this game. Be it on the P-40, the P-51, or the light-loaded P-47s. Even 4x50cal are quite lethal and my favorite P-51B loadout and F4F-4 loadouts are the 4x50cal options.

They're not anemic unless you spray and pray or fight just for split-second snapshots. You saddle up for a burst at convergence and they'll pop any fighter, even a tough P-47, in half a second.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
I'm not an expert either. But I've fired and seen the results of the ma deuce and what we have is in no way indicative of the hell the weapon unleashes.

The problem in AH is mostly a function of the damage model which assumes airplanes are hollow. The Jug should be capable of landing 25 rounds in a 1/4 of a second at convergence. That, in no way, should require you to "saddle up." Heck, even if they're inside convergence and strike from a single wing it should land 12 rounds in the same amount of time. I submit that if you hit ANY plane with 12 rounds of .50 that it might still be flying but it sure as heck is not going to be functioning at 100% which happen way too often in AH.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Ckrueg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
A or c. As long as I can take a jug

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Please let it go Krusty.  If Brooke wants to debate it during the design, that would be the time. Just vote and be done with it.  It's these never ending conversation that drive folks away as they get tired of the minutia.  Scenarios have been dying for a while.  Right now we need to get folks fired up to fly them again, not argue about load outs.

If folks aren't going to fly because the other guys have too many bullets, chances are they weren't interested to begin with, just looking for an out.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
I have Pilots notes on the P47B to D models.  It lists 425 rounds of .50 cal as a selectable loadout. And yes they are authentic dash 1s'.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:38:46 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:18 PM »
And the winner is . . .

A

The June Scenario is:

Big Week!   :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
Thank you to everyone who voted.

Next up is to open the design discussion.

I will open that up shortly.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member