Author Topic: Why no Allied/Axis forum for FSO?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: Why no Allied/Axis forum for FSO?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
CM Application Sent.
Replied

Careful what you ask for

:D

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »
It isn't too hard. Who said it was too hard? Creating the system isn't too hard, but it would be a logistical nightmare

With the current software (SMF) there is no support for password protected child boards. So there goes that idea. Now we have the idea of groups for each squad. I am sure Skuzzy already has enough to do babysitting this board to want to spend even 30 minutes of his day adding and subtracting groups from a forum. On top of that, he would have to add and subtract users from each group, unless they managed to allow moderators per group, which is asking a bit on a board where they like to keep things locked down.

A third party forum would work and you can do whatever you'd like to your heart's content, but people use this forum for convenience. Having another account at a totally different domain doesn't sound convenient.

Ahevents.net is a totally different domain yet we somehow manage to muddle through.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 02:07:18 AM »
When the side assignments are done you guys have a ready made email group for the squad leaders and deputies. One for Allies and one for Axis. That's every setup. I think that suffices.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »
When the side assignments are done you guys have a ready made email group for the squad leaders and deputies. One for Allies and one for Axis. That's every setup. I think that suffices.

Suffice is by definition adequate or meeting the minimum requirement.

I am looking for a higher level of engagement by the FSO participants. Email, especially now when everyone gets a flood of email, is an especially poor method of building the sort of engagement that FSO needs.

A forum would allow and encourage a higher level of participation and since the forum would be available to players beyond the squadron staff, a much wider group would be involved.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
Suffice is by definition adequate or meeting the minimum requirement.

I am looking for a higher level of engagement by the FSO participants. Email, especially now when everyone gets a flood of email, is an especially poor method of building the sort of engagement that FSO needs.

A forum would allow and encourage a higher level of participation and since the forum would be available to players beyond the squadron staff, a much wider group would be involved.

Maybe it would usher in a new era of FSO engagement.

And, it might wind up looking very, very similar to the scenario forums, where it's the same dozen people posting similar things and thunderous silence from the vast majority.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
I think your heart is in the right place, Dawger...

The issue isn't necessarily lack of a private forum to communicate orders and intent when assigned to a particular side.

The issue is the lack of response when the orders are issued between squads assigned to work with each other.

Time and time again, as Operations Officer for G3-MF I have reached out every time orders were sent to coordinate a defense or an attack.  Sometimes squads communicate great, some wait until the 30 minutes prior to launch to discuss, yet never read the email or looked at the maps I spent hours working on.  Some times, you get no response and the squads you are supposed to work with cowboy up and simply do what they want vs. work together.  Heck, often times, I'd have my own squad mates logging into FSO only to ask, what are we doing?  What base?  What plane?  Quite frankly, it is enough to burn a guy out.  After over 3 years, I burnt out.

What we do at G3-MF is we have our own private forums.  We have a voting booth, we have many subjects with sub titles.  One is specifically for FSO.  When we receive our orders, we draw up our operations orders using OSMEAC and BAMCIS (my veterans will appreciate that).  We set up maps, routes, patrol sectors, scouting zones, etc....  Then we reach out to all other squads we are working with announcing our intent and ask for feedback or acknowledgment.

The fact is, you cannot expect that everyone will read and work with the site.  Those of us that are really into it will.  But many won't.  That is simple human nature.  One could argue that we set something like a forum up and the leaders that receive orders, etc...  could be the ones with access and you communicate there.  But the question I ask is if we can't do that already through email, why would we add layers using a forum system that an already simpler system isn't being utilized to the max already?

No offense.  My intent is to have us ALL think this through before setting up another layer.  Thanks all!

:rock
SlipKnoT

DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
Spot on Slip.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »
ok dawger. since you want forums so bad, here you go. I build this just for you. www.fsoforums.org/forum sign up ill make you the moderator. you can run it as you please. get all your friends in there. it set up for axis and allies. have at it.