Author Topic: Landing a plane in high winds  (Read 619 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Landing a plane in high winds
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »
Wow, just wow!

The smile on his face after he gets it down is great.

This guy was BUSY!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:28:07 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Landing a plane in high winds
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »
Dang it, couldn't get the video to play here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKRIrwJ0loI

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:30:10 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
Meh come to my home town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jnahV81AU

Notice the tail work.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
wow

i think hes got some bad tie rods.  :old:  oh wait its a plane!  :bolt:

this one looking forward was cools. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhO1BeC7m10

p.s. im not sure who is crazier.  the pilots or the fools in back.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
Wow, just wow!

The smile on his face after he gets it down is great.

This guy was BUSY!

In 36 years of heavy jet flying, I have never seen anyone use control inputs like that. Suspect he might have been adding to his own workload.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
Thanks Busher.  I'm not a pilot so I wouldn't know, I appreciate your opinion.  He really looked overwhelmed.  If it was aces high he would have gotten the message "Don't move your controls so rapidly".
Wag more, bark less.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:35 PM »
Have never flown a jet but as Busher said, that looked like a lot of control movement.

Flew an ILS one hot, muggy afternoon.  It was pretty bumpy, I was working about like the guy in the video.  The -17 is pretty sluggish -- it takes big control movements and it's heavy on the controls.  My wife was standing behind my seat watching the show and after landing during the taxi to parking, me with sweat running off my face and a soaked shirt, she says with that innocent look that women have "Was it really that hard or were you just messing around?"  :D
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:55 AM »
Looked to me like a lot of "extra" pitch input, but I have never flown a 737.  I will say that the aileron inputs were likely necessary.  I haven't had to go full-deflection in the A320 yet but I've been all over the roll inputs in pretty bad crosswinds and while you can be slower on the controls and still be safe, precise but fast roll inputs can dramatically improve the ride quality for the 180+ potential barf generators sitting in the back.  I've never had to input anywhere near that much pitch control in the bus, however the flight controls in the airbus command pitch rate so the plane is doing most of that work for you up until it transitions to a different control law in the roundout/flare. Even in the flare the flight controls still input pitch rate instead of directly moving the elevators, but there is a nose-down bias as speed decreases in the roundout and flare to give a "normal" pitch feel for landing.  It all works surprisingly well and the plane feels natural to fly.  You can tell that the plane weighs a lot but the control response is remarkably consistent across all normal flight conditions.

The A320 is pretty dang easy to fly and land, at least for someone with my background.  Even the trainers I taught in for 9 years are considered high performance in the civilian world, so a lot of the basics I learned in the F-15E and taught in the T-37 and T-6 transfer over to the bigger planes.  I've flown with a couple of experienced captains who seem to still have some trouble making things work out smoothly, but I haven't had any problems even in some fairly gusty winds on landing.  I'm quite sure that eventually I'll prang it in since it happens to pretty much everyone at some point, but so far its been straightforward.  I still get the thrust reversers deployed a second or so after the experienced guys will pop them out and my braking technique still needs some massaging to help minimize brake heating, but I'm pretty sure I'll pick that up just fine as I gain experience.

But... Yea.  That video looked like there was a LOT of pitch input that wouldn't work at all in the airbus or in any other plane I've flown.  That much pitch input even in the airbus would alternately pin passengers to the ceiling or put 2+ Gs on them.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:20 AM »
In 36 years of heavy jet flying, I have never seen anyone use control inputs like that. Suspect he might have been adding to his own workload.

I concur.  I've seen it happen more than a few times.  "Bro, go easy.   Ride it out a little."

That said I'm told the 737 is a bit of a pig in roll.  Not sure if this was related.

As always in these videos, I wasn't there so I will withhold judgment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:13:27 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:22 AM »

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

Have never flown a jet but as Busher said, that looked like a lot of control movement.

Flew an ILS one hot, muggy afternoon.  It was pretty bumpy, I was working about like the guy in the video.  The -17 is pretty sluggish -- it takes big control movements and it's heavy on the controls.  My wife was standing behind my seat watching the show and after landing during the taxi to parking, me with sweat running off my face and a soaked shirt, she says with that innocent look that women have "Was it really that hard or were you just messing around?"  :D
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »

:rofl  Those are the moments that either cement a relationship, or cause shallow graves.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
:rofl  Those are the moments that either cement a relationship, or cause shallow graves.

Wiley.

"I'm not in a rut, I'm in a groooooooooooove."  :rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
As always in these videos, I wasn't there so I will withhold judgment.

Good point.  Hard to pass judgement without being there.  Good decision to go around.

All gave some, Some gave all