Author Topic: 8bit BMP grayscale to raw.  (Read 4251 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: 8bit BMP grayscale to raw.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
I managed to edit the raw height map using a free program called Krita, which can be found at: http://www.krita.org/

It was a bit of a caper to get it to work though:

To load the height file open Krita, hit "File/Open" and navigate to the folder the height map is in. In the open file window change the "All supported formats" filter to "All files". Click on your height map file and hit "Open". This brings up a "Choose Filter" window with a list of formats. In this list select "r16 heightmap" and hit "OK". This brings up a "Heightmap Import Options" window, set the size to "4096" and the button to "PC" and hit "OK".

When you are done editing it save the file as an r16 heightmap. This gives the file an "r16" suffix. Once this is edited manually to "raw" the TE loads the file successfully as a signed height map.

The only slight issue with the program is that it displays the file rotated 90 degrees to the right. This is no big deal though as it only takes a few seconds to rotate it left to match the TE orientation for editing and then back right again before saving.

IIRC I was able to create a height map in PSP, save it as a bmp, open it in Krita and then save it as an r16 file, edit the suffix to raw and open it in the TE. Like I said, a bit of a caper.
Hmm, I can't seem to change the filter to "all files" That choice isn't available.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
Set brush to alt, click beginning and end of your land strip. This makes 2 islands.

Now use the plow tool to make the strip between the two ilands.

HiTech

What I did is build a Japanese dumcv, and I need a small strip of land underneath it to get the mission editor to spawn the flights at the height of the CV deck.

I don't think it's possible to set a uniform strip of land that is small enough without a ridiculously large cv object to cover it, so I think I'll go with another idea.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Ah, if you do not have "land" then you get an airspawn even if you set the entry object to the custom object's physical height. Can you incorporate the landing pad object "landzone" just at the level of the deck and set a fighter spawn onto that?

I'm building a hardstand convergence testing terrain. I've got all but 10 fighters left to go. I have three spawn directions left on my third small field object for fighter spawns. I'm placing them so the plane in question spawns with their main gear over a down slope which levels the plane. Then you can bring up the offline target and test your convergence out to max range and in between sitting static and leveled.

It's been interesting what you see concerning motor kanon and LoS for the gunsight..... ;)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
Ah, if you do not have "land" then you get an airspawn even if you set the entry object to the custom object's physical height. Can you incorporate the landing pad object "landzone" just at the level of the deck and set a fighter spawn onto that?

I'm building a hardstand convergence testing terrain. I've got all but 10 fighters left to go. I have three spawn directions left on my third small field object for fighter spawns. I'm placing them so the plane in question spawns with their main gear over a down slope which levels the plane. Then you can bring up the offline target and test your convergence out to max range and in between sitting static and leveled.

It's been interesting what you see concerning motor kanon and LoS for the gunsight..... ;)

I wanted a take off sequence but the ME won't spawn above ground level unless it's an air spawn, That is what I am using to simulate it, but that introduces it's own issues. In AH2, I built a flat Japanese carrier deck and put it on top of a flat island. The CV deck was way oversized to cover the land. It worked OK, because it was just a few second visual, but I was looking to improve it in AH3.

You have to think out of the box to have a carrier mission, since the ME has to spawn at a fixed point, you need to have a static object.

That may change some day, as I noticed Hitech added a briefing room to the CV.

In order to have a takeoff segment, I would need a rectangular box of land about the size of the CV deck and place the static CV object over it, then set a headwind to help the take off, but it's not a deal breaker as the airspawn workaround will suffice.